[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Desperately Seeking a Light Pen

corbin@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Steve Corbin) (11/30/88)

Does anyone know where I can find a light pen?  I tried Computer Shopper
and Byte and couldn't find any place that sells them.  I also tried posting
to misc.wanted and misc.forsale but received no responses.  I guess no one
is interested in these archaic input devices now that the mouse has come
along.

It seems funny that light pens are not popular, especially with kids games
and drawing type programs.  It seems more natural to point directly onto the
screen.

Anyway, I think my kids would have an easier time with a light pen than a
mouse.  They are having trouble getting used to handling the mouse movements
and button pushing and I would like to get a pen.

Any ideas?

Stephen Corbin	    UUCP:	{bu-cs,decvax,necntc,talcott}!encore!corbin
		    Internet:	corbin@multimax.ARPA

posert@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Bob Posert) (11/30/88)

In article <4310@encore.UUCP> Stephen Corbin writes:

>Does anyone know where I can find a light pen?  I tried Computer Shopper
>and Byte and couldn't find any place that sells them. [...]

PC Magazine, Volume 6 Number 4, August 1987, has a review of five light pens
and addresses of the companies that make them.  The list prices range from
$145.00 to $199.99 (Under $200! :-)
--Bob
--
Bob Posert
I'm: posert@bonnie.ics.uci.edu or {sdcsvax|ucbvax}!ucivax!bonnie!posert

dwc@homxc.UUCP (Malaclypse the Elder) (12/01/88)

i am also interested in a light pen.  does anyone have
any information on these things?  even a reference on
how they work would do.

danny chen
att!homxc!dwc

gfk@bridge2.3Com.Com (Gregory Kendall) (12/02/88)

I got a light pen from Lite-Pen Company, P.O. Box 45255, L.A.,CA 94045. It
can with some sample programs, an solitare game (which does not work right)
and fairly good documentation. I have not had a chance to really use it,
so I won't comment on how good/bad it is. Good luck, and let us know how you
like it.

malpass@vlsi.ll.mit.edu (Don Malpass) (12/03/88)

In article <1012@paris.ics.uci.edu> posert@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Bob Posert) writes:
>In article <4310@encore.UUCP> Stephen Corbin writes:
>>Does anyone know where I can find a light pen?
>PC Magazine, Volume 6 Number 4, August 1987...

I think I also saw something in the Wall St. Journal within the last
3 weeks about one of the Japanese companies introducing a stylus or
improved pad or some alternative to mices and pucks.  I'll try to
find it, but maybe somebody else saw it and can tell more.
--
Don Malpass   [malpass@LL-vlsi.arpa],  [malpass@gandalf.ll.mit.edu]
  The Malpass Principle:  Given a binary choice, the statistical