[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How do you set long Paths?

howell@bashful.cs.unc.edu (William Howell) (11/21/88)

I have a recollection that this was previously discussed here,
which if it was I regret cluttering the network with a repeat
of it.  However, I am in need of how to set long Paths in DOS.

I am running DOS 3.3, and have been able to set paths in the
range of 125 characters or so.  I have played around with the
SHELL command and the /E parameter, but I've only been able
to expand it by a character or two this way it seems.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

----------
William Howell  <howell@cs.unc.edu>		 University of North Carolina
Director Computer Services			 Chapel Hill, NC  27599-3175
Computer Science Department			 919-962-1759

syrbz@warwick.ac.uk (J D Mulberg) (11/29/88)

In article <5449@thorin.cs.unc.edu> howell@bashful.cs.unc.edu (William Howell) writes:
>I have a recollection that this was previously discussed here,
>which if it was I regret cluttering the network with a repeat
>of it.  However, I am in need of how to set long Paths in DOS.

You could consider using the SUBST command in DOS, which would cut down on the
length of path strings considerably.

Jon Mulberg,                                          Go placidly amidst the
Warwick University                                    noise and haste ...
--
UUCP:   ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!syrbz	PHONE:  +44 203 523523
JANET:  syrbz@uk.ac.warwick.daisy       ARPA:   syrbz@daisy.warwick.ac.uk

simrin@mis.ucsf.edu (Steve Simrin) (12/03/88)

You can do it with DOS 3.3 by appending to the existing path as follows:

set path=%path%;NEWPATH

where NEWPATH is what you append to the old path. The only limitation is
the size of your environment which can be set with COMMAND.

Steve Simrin