[comp.sys.ibm.pc] FORMATTING a AT RLL drive....

wolfordj@ihlpa.ATT.COM (452is-Wolford) (11/29/88)

I have a "AT" class WD Floppy / hard disk controler that uses
RLL format for the hard disk.  (I think WD-1003-RA).

What programs are available to format these drives ?

I know of a program from Storage Dimensions for ~$100, but that
is a little steap for my blood and since it is just a one
time use.  Would like a program for <= $25.

My bios does NOT support any 26 SEC/track drives (ie RLL type).  So what
is involved in getting around this if any thing.

Before I get any flames, YES I am using this in a "AT" clone
as my FD/HD controller.

I am speaking of the low level format (i.e. these drives are NOT
preformatted) and I know how to use DOS format.

This is on a AT machine therefor lowlevel format is NOT in the disk
controller.

Jeff Wolford
att!iwsag!jww
att!ihlpa!wolfordj

harvard-+

ucbvax--+---- att --+ iwsag!jww

decvax--+

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (11/30/88)

In article <10649@ihlpa.ATT.COM> wolfordj@ihlpa.ATT.COM (452is-Wolford) writes:
| I have a "AT" class WD Floppy / hard disk controler that uses
| RLL format for the hard disk.  (I think WD-1003-RA).
|
| What programs are available to format these drives ?
|
| I know of a program from Storage Dimensions for ~$100, but that
| is a little steap for my blood and since it is just a one
| time use.  Would like a program for <= $25.
|
| My bios does NOT support any 26 SEC/track drives (ie RLL type).  So what
| is involved in getting around this if any thing.

  I have posted a program to binaries.ibm.pc which will allow you to use
a non-standard hard disk. If you have an old DOS you will be able to
have one partition, 3.3 or later support up to 4. Partitions may be up
to 32MB.

| Before I get any flames, YES I am using this in a "AT" clone
| as my FD/HD controller.
|
| I am speaking of the low level format (i.e. these drives are NOT
| preformatted) and I know how to use DOS format.
|
| This is on a AT machine therefor lowlevel format is NOT in the disk
| controller.

I won't disagree with you, but I have used Adaptek, Perstor, and other
WD controllers, and all had format in the ROM. I have never seen a
controller which didn't have it either in ROM or on the disk which comes
with the controller. Did you buy this used or something? I assume that
you used DEBUG to look at the controller ROM, either C800:5 or other
locations at the beginning of ROM which might have the location.

I beleive that the BIOS call to format the hard disk calls the
controller. Did you try using that?
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

ken@nsc.nsc.com (Ken Trant) (12/02/88)

in article <12695@steinmetz.ge.com>, davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) says:
> I beleive that the BIOS call to format the hard disk calls the
> controller. Did you try using that?

 You can use Debug to format your HD (low level) the address is c800:5 even
 on an adaptec, at least the few systems I have tried it on.

--
PATH= Second star to the right,          {...Ken Trant...}
      and straight on till morning

seg@smsdpg.uu.net (Scott Garfinkle) (12/03/88)

<too much stuff to quote.  basically, how to do a low level format of
  a generic AT RLL drive/controller pair

Easiest thing to do is get the Adaptek AT RLL Hard/Floppy controller (I
forget the number, and don't want to open up my system): it *does* have
rom at c800:5 (actually, you can select where to put the rom by jumper).
The ROM not only does low-level format, but allows one to use non-
standard disks (like the Maxtor 1085 with 8 hds/1024 cyls/*no* write
precomp).

Given that you already have an OMTI or WD controller, there are several
Low level formatting utilities in the public domain available on PC-
oriented Bulletin Board Systems ("BBSes").  If there's enough interest, I'll
download one and post it to binaries.
		Scott E. Garfinkle
		SMS Data Products Group, Inc.
		uunet!smsdpg!seg