[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Sharp laptop

geoff@moss.ATT.COM (12/03/88)

Greetings,

	My father is looking for a laptop computer he can take notes on and
such.  It should be IBM compatible because that is the computer he has
at the office.  The likeliest candidate I had seen was the Toshiba 1000,
buf I have just seen an ad for the SHARP PC-4501-3 (the DAMARK ad in
today's USA Today).  They claim it is MS-DOS compatible (included with the
system is MS-DOS 2.11 which  I would think means this is a fairly old
computer).  It weighs 10 lbs, has two 3.5 floppy drives, 7.16 MHz clock,
and 640k RAM.  DAMARK wants $699 + $10s/h for it (Mfg. bogus Sugg. Ret. $1499).
	The QUESTION:  Does anyone have any experience with this beast, or with
DAMARK in general?  It seems like a good deal -- especially with the two
disk drives and the full 640k memory, but it almost seems too good (especially
if it is old enough to be shipping with 2.11; although they do say it is
'factory new').  It actually seems like overkill for him, but at the price
why not?
	thanks a lot,
		geoff sherwood

schanck@schooner.cis.ohio-state.edu (Christopher Schanck) (12/04/88)

In article <37333@clyde.ATT.COM> geoff@clyde.ATT.COM (Geoff Sherwood) writes:
>Greetings,
>
>	My father is looking for a laptop computer he can take notes on and
>such.  It should be IBM compatible because that is the computer he has

PLEASE, don't let your Dad limit imself to PCompatible laptops. If he is
interested in taking notes and such, look at some more special purpose
machines like Radio Shack's lowere end models and the new one from
Sinclair. It is fairly easy to transfer stuff via serial port, and you
are a lot better off in some cases; as you pointed out, it could be a lot
of overkill. Smaller portables are smaller :-), lighter, and use less
power.

'Course, if he wants to run OS/2 on the road.... ;-)

>		geoff sherwood

Chris

-=-
"My brain is NOT a deadlock-free environment!!!!"
--- Christopher Schanck, mammal at large.
schanck@flounder.cis.ohio-state.edu

kinmonthprep@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (12/04/88)

In article <29041@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> schanck@schooner.cis.ohio-state.edu (Christopher Schanck) writes:
>In article <37333@clyde.ATT.COM> geoff@clyde.ATT.COM (Geoff Sherwood) writes:
>>Greetings,
>>
>>	My father is looking for a laptop computer he can take notes on and
>>such.  It should be IBM compatible because that is the computer he has

The Sharp portable is extremely attractive as long as you do not want a
serial port or modem.  I called Sharp in New Jersey and found they would
not even take orders for the advertised add ons because the factory in
Osaka could not supply them for five to six months....