[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Micropolis Harddisk--help!

kgordon@brandx.rutgers.edu (Ken Gordon) (12/05/88)

Does anyone know how many heads and cylinders are on a Micropolis 1325PL 80M
harddisk?  I also need to know the jumper settings to set this critter as drive
one.  The current settings are as follows:

     .X         ...XXX      where .=empty post,  X=jumper setting.
The distributor sent this drive, and omitted the documentation.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--------Ken Gordon(kgordon@brandx.rutgers.edu)

jborza%burgundy@Sun.COM (Jim_Borza) (12/06/88)

In article <Dec.4.11.13.51.1988.8924@brandx.rutgers.edu>, kgordon@brandx.rutgers.edu (Ken Gordon) writes:
> Does anyone know how many heads and cylinders are on a Micropolis 1325PL 80M
> harddisk?  I also need to know the jumper settings to set this critter as drive
> one.  The current settings are as follows:
>
>      .X         ...XXX      where .=empty post,  X=jumper setting.
> The distributor sent this drive, and omitted the documentation.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> --------Ken Gordon(kgordon@brandx.rutgers.edu)

I'm familiar with the Micropolis 1325.  It has 1024 cylinders, 8 heads
(5 platters, 1 servo surface, 1 surface unused)
The jumpers are set for drive D0.  The .X on the left says the data-out
line is terminated and the data-in is unterminated (Jumper=terminated).
That's the normal setting.  From left-to-right, the ...X signify drives
D3, D2, D1, D0.  Yours is set for D0.  The last two jumpers should be IN.
I forget which is which but one is for daisy-chain select and the other
selects "latch select errors" or something.  For normal ST506, they are set
correctly.  I've installed that drive with an Adaptec 2070A RLL control-
ler and it formats to better than 100 MBytes.  Good Luck.
Jim Borza

cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (12/06/88)

From article <Dec.4.11.13.51.1988.8924@brandx.rutgers.edu>, by kgordon@brandx.rutgers.edu (Ken Gordon):
> Does anyone know how many heads and cylinders are on a Micropolis 1325PL 80M
> harddisk?  I also need to know the jumper settings to set this critter as drive
> one.  The current settings are as follows:
>
>      .X         ...XXX      where .=empty post,  X=jumper setting.
> The distributor sent this drive, and omitted the documentation.

Micropolis 1325:
85.3 MB unformatted, 67.1 MB formatted @ 32 sectors of 256 bytes.

1024  Cylinders
8 heads
32 sectors
28mSec average seek.

Viewed from the back, 20pin connector at left:
Immediately behind the 34 pin connector:
DS4 - DS3 - DS2 - DS1 - W2 - W1 -----terminator

These jumpers don't agree with your diagram...
Micropolis Corp:
(818) 709-3300

--
Clarence A Dold - cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM         (408) 434-2083
                ...pyramid!ctnews!professo!dold         MailStop 18-011

liber@darth.UUCP (Eric Liber) (12/06/88)

> Does anyone know how many heads and cylinders are on a Micropolis 1325PL 80M
> harddisk?  I also need to know the jumper settings to set this critter as drive
> one.  The current settings are as follows:
>
>      .X         ...XXX      where .=empty post,  X=jumper setting.
> The distributor sent this drive, and omitted the documentation.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> --------Ken Gordon(kgordon@brandx.rutgers.edu)

I have the entire 1325 manual (at home .. sigh :-(  ) but i do remember the
track / cyl layout ..
this is :

	8 heads
	1024 cylinders
	17 sectors / track
	512 bytes / cyl

	(obviously the last two depend upon your controller .. but i would
	 not reccommend using RLL on this drive .. stick with MFM.)

	write precomp .. not needed - set to 1024
	reduced write current - not needed - set to 1024 (note that as i
		remember this line is not implimented on this drive so
		the setting is meaningless)

If i remember i will look tonight about the jumper settings.  If you
call Micropolis they will send you the manual on the drive free of cost.
Sorry .. I don't have their address here either :-(.

I will tell you that this is a nice drive. I picked mine up only slightly
used ( by a little old hacker who only programmed on Babbage's birthday :-)  )
and it has work flawlessly for over a year.  before you install it you might
want to put a damper on the static pickup that you will find sticking out
of the circuit board.  After a while mine began to whine .. real aggravating!
I simply put a small piece of foam tape from one end of the pickup to the
circuit board which seemes to damp out the high frequency squeak!

Good luck and have fun.
If you want to converse more you can email me via cadre!pitt!darth!liber
or land line 412-367-7308 .. feel free to call me after 7:30 any evening
since i am usually home .. if you get my answering machine i WILL call you
back.

Eric the red (Liber)