[comp.sys.ibm.pc] EGA addressing

seamans@nlm-mcs.arpa (James R. Seamans) (12/08/88)

Over the last year we have been using an imaging board produced by
Imaging Technolgy - PFG+.

We use a IBM-AT with EGA card and monitor.

Problem:  The PFG+ board is configured to operate at memory address
          0xA000000 which is where the EGA enhanced mode also resides.
          When we excute the imaging software everything works fine until
          the program exits.  The EGA then attempts to reload its fonts
          ( I think ) back into the 0xA000000 area which then causes
          a system hang.  It's a pain to turn off and on every time
          you wish to use the software.

Question:  If the EGA is in enhanced mode and utilizing the 0xA000000
           memory address.  Are the 0xB000000 and 0xB800000 areas that
           are normally used by CGA and MONO now FREE to be used by
           other processes.

     - Does anyone see another work around for this addressing problem?

BTW - The 0xD000 area has been taken by the IBM 3363 Worm controller card.
      the 0xC000 seems to be used by the rest of the world.

James Seamans   National Library of Medicine
                Lister Hill National Center for Biomedical Communications

seamans@seaimage.nlm.nih.gov

pervect@bsu-cs.UUCP (Barrett Kreiner) (12/08/88)

In article <8538@nlm-mcs.arpa>, seamans@nlm-mcs.arpa (James R. Seamans) writes:
[Introooooo|===@ (bit bucket)]
> Problem:  The PFG+ board is configured to operate at memory address
>           0xA000000 which is where the EGA enhanced mode also resides.
>           When we excute the imaging software everything works fine until
>           the program exits.  The EGA then attempts to reload its fonts
>           ( I think ) back into the 0xA000000 area which then causes
>           a system hang.  It's a pain to turn off and on every time
>           you wish to use the software.
[Same hereeeeee|=]

>      - Does anyone see another work around for this addressing problem?
>

> BTW - The 0xD000 area has been taken by the IBM 3363 Worm controller card.
>       the 0xC000 seems to be used by the rest of the world.
>

> James Seamans   National Library of Medicine
>                 Lister Hill National Center for Biomedical Communications
>
> seamans@seaimage.nlm.nih.gov

We had a similar problem that I was asked to resolve on our graphic stations.
We have Leading Edge model Ds [the 286 box] with EGA, Bernoulli removeable,
Everex 3mb board and an AT&T Targa-16 card under the hood.  Lot's of junk
fighting for the same address space.  We eventually got them all routed except
the Targa card DEMANDED that it run at A000:0000 (all other attempts failed)

My Solution:  Since our displays were Mono, and we had that *cute* little
              utility called "EGA.COM"  I told our EGA it was a Mono display,
              and it moved its address space down to the B000:0000 area.
              Both cards are happy now (wish our users would be so
              Cooperative :-] ).

My suggestion: If you can STAND being in CGA mode during the operation of the
               imager software, try this invocation batch file.

EGA CGA
(Execute imager)
EGA EGA

my $.20 (inflation Donchaknow!)
| Barrett Kreiner    UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!pervect | :-] |
| Technical Manager, Fine Arts Computer Lab|--------------------------|-----|
| Ball State University. Muncie, Indiana   |This space left blank on purpose|
| How am I computing?  Let my parents know at ddsw1!kreiner  (HI ma & dad)  |
| Disclamer: "I don't know them!  I'm a student, nobody listens to ME!"     |