[comp.sys.ibm.pc] In defence of Amstrad

de@comp.lancs.ac.uk (David England) (12/09/88)

In article <27813@cs.tcd.ie> omahony@cs.tcd.ie (Donal O'Mahony - OMAHONY@cs.tcd.ie) writes:
>In article <Dec.6.19.00.19.1988.13962@topaz.rutgers.edu>, porter@topaz.rutgers.edu (Adam L. Porter) writes:
>>	Various pro and con arguments omitted.

I have two beefs
1) I have an Amstrad portable PC (PPC 1640, 640K mem, twin floppies,
built-in 2400bps modem, cost less than 700 pounds). It runs all the
software I throw at it (C++, Turbo Pascal, DB(II and III), and various
PD stuff). I have no problems working at home and then either kermitting
stuff and taking in floppies to use on the PS/2 model 30's here. Other
clones are dearer and the original models are too expensive.

2) My first degree was Mechanical Engineering - modern plastics are
a perfectly good engineering material.

--
Dave uucp(Europe):   ...!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!de
     uucp(Atlantic): ...!uunet!comp.lancs.ac.uk!de