[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 80386 In 286-AT boxes

drew@geaclib.UUCP (Drew Sullivan) (12/06/88)

Rather than replace the mother-board on my 286 system, I am looking
for a card/daughter board that will give me a 386 in my current system.
Does anyone know of any real products that do this.  (Ie are really
shipping)
--
-- Drew Sullivan <drew@lethe.uucp>   +1 416 225-1592  Toronto, Ontario, Canada

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (12/08/88)

In article <3465@geaclib.UUCP> drew@lethe.UUCP (Drew Sullivan) writes:
| Rather than replace the mother-board on my 286 system, I am looking
| for a card/daughter board that will give me a 386 in my current system.
| Does anyone know of any real products that do this.  (Ie are really
| shipping)

  Intel "Inboard" is shipping. Check the price of a new motherboard
before buying an add-in. If you don't have a big power supply add that
cost, since the add-in and the original MB still draw power.

I don't sell any of this stuff.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

Vaprak@cup.portal.com (John C Foy) (12/08/88)

Drew Sullivan asked about a product to upgrade a 286 to a 386.

The answer is yes, but not cheap.  Intel has a board that is called
Inboard 386AT.  It is a full 16bit card that you put in your 286 and
it gives you 386 power.  Basically, you take out the 286 and run a cable
from the card to the hole where the 80286 chip was and its done.
The only prob is the price - $1000 plus $200 installation kit.
My personal advice?  get a new mother board...

Vaprak@cup.portal.com
Sun!cup.portal.com!Vaprak

terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (12/09/88)

The Intel Inboard/386 works very well in IBM machines and in most clones.
I am using one now in a PC Limited 286/8 machine.  I run both DOS and
XENIX  on it and do not have any complaints.  It also has a 5 year
warranty from Intel.

The board is capable of using both 16 bit and 32 bit memory.  When it
is using 32 bit memory, it is about as fast as a 16Mhz Compaq.  When
using 16 bit memory, it is about 60% as fast.

--
Terry Hull                    Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
                                           Kansas State University

amlovell@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Anthony M Lovell) (12/10/88)

In article <12286@cup.portal.com>, Vaprak@cup.portal.com (John C Foy) writes:
> The answer is yes, but not cheap.  Intel has a board that is called
> Inboard 386AT.  It is a full 16bit card that you put in your 286 and
> it gives you 386 power.  Basically, you take out the 286 and run a cable
> from the card to the hole where the 80286 chip was and its done.
> The only prob is the price - $1000 plus $200 installation kit.
> My personal advice?  get a new mother board...

My answer to this would be to suggest that you shop around.
8 months ago, I bought the PC version of this board complete for $650.
You can find the prices are creeping back down to this range (the
problem is the 1MB RAM included)  The AT version should not exceed this
board's cost by over $100 in the worst case.  Your board seems to have
been obtained at list.  And what praytell are they trying to to charge
an extra $200 for in the installation kit?  The one cable?  Shop around
and then refuse to let the dealer sell you a car and charge extra for
the tires.
--
amlovell@phoenix.princeton.edu     ...since 1963.