[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Computing for physically disabled?

flanner@prls.UUCP (Philip D. Flanner III) (12/06/88)

My cousin has a physical disability (cerebral palsy) that makes it
difficult for her to type.  She is writing a book, currently using
a typewriter, but she would like to use a computer.  She says that
a computer with a keyboard that doesn't have auto-repeat keys would
be good enough, and she has been looking into getting an Apple II
for that reason.

My question is: Is there a way to change the operation of a IBM PC
(XT, clone etc..) in software to not auto-repeat?  It would have
to be a TSR I think.  Alternatively, does anyone know of any software
to make the PC easier to use for physically disabled people.

--- Phil Flanner II --> ...{pyramid,philabs}!prls!flanner

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (12/09/88)

In article <17286@prls.UUCP>, flanner@prls.UUCP (Philip D. Flanner III) writes:
> My cousin has a physical disability (cerebral palsy) that makes it
> difficult for her to type.
> Is there a way to change the operation of a IBM PC
> (XT, clone etc..) in software to not auto-repeat?

Sorry I don't have a direct answer to your question, but rather another
point.  A second feature she'll probably find handy is "sticky keys".
If it is difficult to press two keys simultaneously (shift+anything), a
sticky shift key lets you press and release shift, then press the
character.  The shift automatically releases when the character is
pressed.  It's fewer keystrokes than using caps lock, and it also shifts
numerics, etc. The same could work for the alt key. As you say, a TSR
is likely needed to alter the keyboard's behaviour. Good luck.
--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels

pfales@ttrde.UUCP (Peter Fales) (12/11/88)

In article <596@mks.UUCP>, wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) writes:
> In article <17286@prls.UUCP>, flanner@prls.UUCP (Philip D. Flanner III) writes:
> > Is there a way to change the operation of a IBM PC
> > (XT, clone etc..) in software to not auto-repeat?
>
> point.  A second feature she'll probably find handy is "sticky keys".
> If it is difficult to press two keys simultaneously (shift+anything), a
> sticky shift key lets you press and release shift, then press the
> character.  The shift automatically releases when the character is
> pressed.  It's fewer keystrokes than using caps lock, and it also shifts
> numerics, etc. The same could work for the alt key. As you say, a TSR
> is likely needed to alter the keyboard's behaviour. Good luck.

FANSI-CONSOLE is a nice program from Hersey Microconsulting (313-994-3259)
that provides both of these features.  It also provides a great deal
of other flexibility over screen colors, screen modes, keyboard layout,
etc.  The package is shareware, and can be found on many BBS systems.
To get the complete package with printed manual is around $75.00

I have no connection with this company other than as a satisfied
customer.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 2F-217
				200 Park Plaza