[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Has anyone seen MSC -Fa work?

seg@smsdpg.uu.net (Scott Garfinkle) (12/09/88)

From article <15645@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, by bkliewer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Bradley Dyck Kliewer):

> I tried using the Microsoft C 5.10 -Fa option today.  I did not get an
> .ASM file as advertised, and in fact, got no listing file at all.

-Fa option works fine with MSC 5.1 -- I just tried it.  If it doesn't work in
v5.0, upgrade.  (The upgrade is useful in any case, though v5.2 should be
out soon, I think.)
		Scott E. Garfinkle
		SMS Data Products Group, Inc.
		uunet!smsdpg!seg

		<standard disclaimer>

rbono@necis.UUCP (Rich Bono) (12/10/88)

In article <15645@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, bkliewer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Bradley Dyck Kliewer) writes:

> I tried using the Microsoft C 5.10 -Fa option today.  I did not get an
> .ASM file as advertised, and in fact, got no listing file at all.  I
> tried:
> cl -Fademo demo
> cl -Fa demo
> cl /Fa demo
> cl demo /Fa
> among many other permutations.  Is there another switch I must use or
> does this option not work?

	Try this...

	cl -Fademo.asm demo.c    <--- to compile, link, and gen gemo.asm

		or

	cl -c -Fademo.asm demo.c  <--- to compile, gen demo.asm, and demo.obj
					(no link)

	The '-FaFILENAME' must appear before the name of the '.C' file.

	(it can also be '/FaFILENAME')

	This works for me on MSC 5.1.

--
 /**************************************************************************\
 * Rich Bono (NM1D)                                     rbono@necis.nec.com *

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (12/10/88)

>I tried using the Microsoft C 5.10 -Fa option today.  I did not get an
>.ASM file as advertised, and in fact, got no listing file at all.  I
>tried:
>cl -Fademo demo
>cl -Fa demo
>cl /Fa demo

>does this option not work?

Yes, it works. You need to tell it

cl -Fa demo.c

or

cl /Fa demo.c

Without the ".c" it won't work. You always need the .c on a C source file.
Always.

rhartman@atexnet.UUCP (Robert Hartman) (12/10/88)

In article <15645@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bkliewer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Bradley Dyck Kliewer) writes:

>I tried using the Microsoft C 5.10 -Fa option today.  I did not get an
>.ASM file as advertised, and in fact, got no listing file at all.  I
>tried:
>cl -Fademo demo
>cl -Fa demo
>cl /Fa demo
>cl demo /Fa
>among many other permutations.  Is there another switch I must use or
>does this option not work?

The MSC 'cl' program is VERY picky about certain items.  One of the things that
must be present is the .c file extension on filenames.  You should try the
following:

  cl /Fa demo.c

and see if that solves your problem.  I think I normally use /Fc to get a
mixed output listing just so I can see what is going on.  If I really need
just the asm output, then /Fa is appropriate.

sbanner1@uvicctr.UUCP (S. John Banner) (12/14/88)

In article <851@necis.UUCP> version B 2.10.2 9/17/84; site uvicctr.UUCP uvicctr!ssc-vax!uw-beaver!mit-eddie!bu-cs!mirror!necntc!necis!rbono rbono@necis.UUCP (Rich Bono) writes:
>In article <15645@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, bkliewer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Bradley Dyck Kliewer) writes:
>>
>> I tried using the Microsoft C 5.10 -Fa option today.  I did not get an
>> .ASM file as advertised, and in fact, got no listing file at all.  I
>> tried:
>> cl -Fademo demo
>> cl -Fa demo
>> cl /Fa demo
>> cl demo /Fa
>> among many other permutations.  Is there another switch I must use or
>> does this option not work?
>>
>	Try this...
>	cl -Fademo.asm demo.c    <--- to compile, link, and gen gemo.asm
>		or
>	cl -c -Fademo.asm demo.c  <--- to compile, gen demo.asm, and demo.obj
>					(no link)

I just use the "-S" switch (just like on UNIX), and it works great.
The order of the switches doesn't seem to matter, though I don't
if you can use it to generate the .obj, and the .asm, I only use
the option when I need to look at, or use the assembler directly,
so I never need to generate both.

		     sjb.