[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Advice for the needy

douglas@bcsaic.UUCP (Douglas Schuler) (12/07/88)

This is the second time, I've asked for some advice for the needy in this
newsgroup.  The first time I received some very useful info.  So I'm
at it one last time.

The trouble is that I am working on an application that does graphics
on the screen and is also supposed to print them on the printer.

The first problem was when I found out that there were over 10 fairly
common graphic configurations.  I've sucessfully dealt with that problem
although I'm still wondering if there is a good general solution to the
problem of writing portable software for the plethora of graphics modes.

The next problem is a little more taxing.  I'd like to print the graphics
on a printer.  At first, I (naively) thought that using the DOS printscreen
was the way to go.  I soon found out that screen bitmaps were immune from
this command.  I suppose that I'll have to use the C command that inspects
screen pixels (don't have reference handy), and send the contents to the
printer (prepended by the printer escape sequences) using outp().  What's
the best general approach to this?  I'm also wondering (worried) that the
aspect ratio of  the printer and of the console will be different.  This
might be a bit of a pain as I'm printing circles.  Anyway, I'm using either
the hercules or the _HRESBW mode on the pc and a NED P5XL printer.

Thanks in advance.

--
   ** MY VIEWS MAY NOT BE IDENTICAL TO THOSE OF THE BOEING COMPANY **
	Doug Schuler     (206) 865-3226

bryanc@auvax.UUCP (Bryan Crawford @CSc) (12/14/88)

In article <9042@bcsaic.UUCP>, douglas@bcsaic.UUCP (Douglas Schuler) writes:

> The trouble is that I am working on an application that does graphics
> on the screen and is also supposed to print them on the printer.
>            [.....]
> The next problem is a little more taxing.  I'd like to print the graphics
> on a printer.  At first, I (naively) thought that using the DOS printscreen
> was the way to go.  I soon found out that screen bitmaps were immune from
> [.....]

I recently overcame a similar problem with the help of a small public domain
program called GRAFTRAX.COM.  I don't know if it will work with the printer
you're using...I'm using a Roland PR-1012, which is Epson FX-80 compatible.
What this program does is intercept int5 (print-scrn) calls, and writes the
appropriate codes to lpt1.  It allows the user to choose portrait (right-shift-
print-screen) or landscape (left-shift-print-screen) orientation.

If you cant find this program through your own contacts, feel free to try to
reach me...that, however, may be somewhat difficult, since, being a new user on this system, I havn't the foggiest what my e-mail address is.  If you can find
the address for Athabasca University's VAX 11/785 (Athabasca, Alberta), my loginhere is 'bryanc'.

Cheers.
							Bryan Crawford