[comp.sys.ibm.pc] cobol for the ibm

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (12/12/88)

hello everyone. i have a friend who is interested in learing cobol
(i don't know why) on his xt clone. are there any pd cobol compilers
or inexpensive compilers available (not a pricey as the microsoft
cobol compiler, in other words). if so, a list of dealers, or places
where he could get his hands on them would be of immense help.

thanx

--
Ignac A. Kolenko                   "Squeeze my lemon, let the juice run
watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac        down my leg!" - Led Zep (Lemon Song)

dmkdmk@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (David M. Kurtiak) (12/13/88)

In article <219@electro.UUCP>, ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) writes:

> hello everyone. i have a friend who is interested in learing cobol
> (i don't know why) on his xt clone. are there any pd cobol compilers
> or inexpensive compilers available (not a pricey as the microsoft
> cobol compiler, in other words). if so, a list of dealers, or places
> where he could get his hands on them would be of immense help.
>
> Ignac A. Kolenko

You may wish to explore the UTAH COBOL compiler.  It's under $100.
Can't say I know of how well it works and what features it has,
but seems like it may be at least worth a look.  It's been a while
since I've seen the advertisement so I can't say for sure where to
even look.  You may wish to dig up a few IBM PC magazines - one is
bound to have an ad somewhere...  Hope this helps,

---
David M. Kurtiak
Internet: dmkdmk@ecsvax.uncecs.edu
Bitnet: DMKDMK@ECSVAX.BITNET
UUCP: dmkdmk@ecsvax.UUCP  {gatech,rutgers}!mcnc!ecsvax!dmkdmk

tomm@oakhill.UUCP (Tom Morrison) (12/14/88)

In article <219@electro.UUCP> ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) writes:
>hello everyone. i have a friend who is interested in learing cobol
>(i don't know why) on his xt clone. are there any pd cobol compilers
>or inexpensive compilers available

Try the following
   Modern COBOL Programming
   1985 Standard with Microcomputers
   Wilson Price and Jack Olson
   copyright 1987
   ISBN 0-394-39100-4
   Price ??

   Mitchell Publishing Inc
   915 River Street
   Santa Cruz, CA  95060
   408-425-3851 or 800-435-2665

This is a textbook which contains a special educational version of
RM/COBOL-85 plus example programs on floppies ready to go.  The modern
structured programming constructs of the 1985 standard and the
interactive nature of PC oriented COBOL programs are featured.

This version of RM/COBOL-85 is limited in ways which make it unsuitable
for commercial use but all language features are retained, making it a
far more suitable learning vehicle than the low-dollar alternatives.

Disclaimer:  You will find my name in the preface.  I was the
development manager for RM/COBOL-85 and worked with the authors to meet
their needs for a decent educational tool.  However, I no longer work
for RM, and receive no income from sales of this book.

Happy learning to your friend, and I hope you get over your bias against
the most used programming language.
---
Tom Morrison