[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Remapping the EVIL Caps-Lock Key!

gm@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Greg McGary) (12/14/88)

I have an AT clone (Hyundai 286c) which I like very much.  The only
thing I dislike are the positions of the <caps-lock> and <ctrl> keys on
the AT-style keyboard.  I much prefer the <ctrl> key to be where
<caps-lock> is now, and for <caps-lock> to not exist--the only time I
type <caps-lock> is by accident!

Is it possible to remap these keys within DOS, or do I have to perform
electrical surgery to the keyboard itself?  I know that individual
applications sometimes allow key-mapping, but I want to remap these
keys once and for all at the lowest possible level.

Please reply by mail, I'll summarize once it's been proven that this
is either possible or impossible.

Thanks!
-- Greg McGary
-- 4201 University Drive #102, Durham, NC 27707   (919) 490-6037
-- {decvax,hplabs,seismo,mcnc}!duke!gm
--				    gm@cs.duke.edu

dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Dave Goldblatt) (12/14/88)

From article <13069@duke.cs.duke.edu>, by gm@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Greg McGary):
> Is it possible to remap these keys within DOS, or do I have to perform
> electrical surgery to the keyboard itself?  I know that individual
> applications sometimes allow key-mapping, but I want to remap these
> keys once and for all at the lowest possible level.

It's probably just easier if I post it -- it's only 144 bytes long.
I have no idea where it came from.

-dg-

--------------------------------cut here------------------------------
begin 644 ibmfix.com
MZW"0``````"<4!ZX0`".V(HF%P#D8#P==1LN@#X'`0%T,XK$)$`T0(#DOPK@6
M+L8&!P$!ZQP\G74(+L8&!P$`ZQ0\.G4%@,P$ZP<\NG4<@.3[B"87`.1ABN`,Y
M@.9AAN#F8?JP(.8@'UB=SQ]8G2[_+@,!N`DUS2&)'@,!C`8%`;H(`;@))<TA8
)NG,!S2<`````B
``
end

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (12/15/88)

In article <13069@duke.cs.duke.edu>, gm@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Greg McGary) writes:
> I have an AT clone (Hyundai 286c) which I like very much.  The only
> thing I dislike are the positions of the <caps-lock> and <ctrl> keys on
> the AT-style keyboard.  I much prefer the <ctrl> key to be where
> <caps-lock> is now, and for <caps-lock> to not exist--the only time I
> type <caps-lock> is by accident!
>
> -- Greg McGary

Look on the underside of your keyboard -- a surprising number of the
so-called enhanced keyboards have two switches: one that controls whether
this is an AT or XT keyboard, another that swaps Ctrl and CapsLock.
The keyboards that come with Everex ATs also include new keycaps to
match the swapped positions.

--
Clayton E. Cramer
{pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer          (Note new path!)