[comp.sys.ibm.pc] - DSZ Zmodem Rz/Sz Zcomm

simon@ms.uky.edu (Simon Gales) (12/12/88)

I have never gotten the zmodem protocol working between Dsz and Rz/Sz, so I
never registered it, thinking it broken.

So, if I register it, does that enable zmodem transfers?

  Simon Gales@University of Ky         UUCP:   {rutgers, uunet}!ukma!simon
                                       Arpa:   simon@ms.uky.edu
  MaBell: 263-2285/257-3597            BitNet: simon@UKMA.BITNET

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (12/12/88)

simon@ms.uky.edu (Simon Gales) writes:

>So, if I register it, does that enable zmodem transfers?

Nope, the unregistered DSZ I tried out does zmodem transfers in both
directions.

If you're connecting to your host via a network, that network's
involvement may be preventing successful zmodem transfers.  The "Sytek"
coax cable that I.U. employs does this, possibly because it imposes
XON/XOFF protocol on the connection whether the endpoints want it or not
(or possibly for another reason :-).  I have not been able to do any but
8th-bit-quoted-Kermit transfers over this irritating link, which is the
major link to most of the University's computers.

I can use zmodem on a C.S. Department (Ultrix (UN*X)) computer to which
I can dial in directly.  The dial-in requires that I use 7-bit-Even-parity
(using Procomm, Zcomm, and any other emulator I've ever tried), but I
think that DSZ ignores that.  Zmodem protocol also works over rlogins to
the other machines, once I've gotten that direct phone line.

To do a download, I give the host the command  "sz filename"; then I
either call up Procomm's ymodem-batch download protocol, or invoke DSZ
with the parameters "rz t" (I think the "t" parameter is correct).
Either one takes it from there, although DSZ remains as a dumb terminal
interface at the end, until I exit it with the F1 key, so I could start
further "sz ..." host commands if I wish.

"Helpful tip":  It's been suggested that if you get stuck in a zmodem
session, a long-enough string of ctrl-X's will eventually terminate
without having to hang up or hope for a timeout.  I recall being very
frustrated about this point, before I got zmodem working for me.

Hope this helps, as they say....

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (12/13/88)

In article <10689@s.ms.uky.edu> simon@ms.uky.edu (Simon Gales) writes:
:I have never gotten the zmodem protocol working between Dsz and Rz/Sz, so I
:never registered it, thinking it broken.
:
:So, if I register it, does that enable zmodem transfers?

DSZ does not have to be registeres to perform ZMODEM files transfers
with rz/sz.  You should be able to use the DSZ "t" command to talk
to Unix, then say "sz foo.bar" to the shell to send a file from Unix
to you.  If this doesn't work the sz program wasn't compiled correctly,
else you're using some sort of lobotomized data PBX that's messing
with the bits.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746   CIS: 70007,2304    Genie: CAF

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (12/13/88)

In article <15744@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:
}If you're connecting to your host via a network, that network's
}involvement may be preventing successful zmodem transfers.  The "Sytek"
}coax cable that I.U. employs does this, possibly because it imposes
}XON/XOFF protocol on the connection whether the endpoints want it or not

No, XON/XOFF doesn't bother Zmodem, since it never sends those characters in
the data packets (it does send an XON at the beginning to make sure things
aren't stopped).  It can also handle the connection swallowing any control
character but ^X with the -e option.  What Zmodem absolutely can't handle is a
seven-bit connection or one that swallows ^X.  The protocol document from Omen
Technologies does indicate that seven-bit transfers may be implemented in the
future (there's a flag bit in the pre-transfer negotiations).

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (12/16/88)

In article <728@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
=DSZ does not have to be registeres to perform ZMODEM files transfers
=with rz/sz.  You should be able to use the DSZ "t" command to talk
=to Unix, then say "sz foo.bar" to the shell to send a file from Unix
=to you.  If this doesn't work the sz program wasn't compiled correctly,
=else you're using some sort of lobotomized data PBX that's messing
=with the bits.

I tried "DSZ t" from C:\>, expecting to get terminal mode.  Instead, it
said "carrier lost" and then returned to C:\>.

???

Pete

--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (12/16/88)

In article <491@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>I tried "DSZ t" from C:\>, expecting to get terminal mode.  Instead, it
>said "carrier lost" and then returned to C:\>.

Well, did you ever find that carrier??

I avoid losing it by using a batch file to supply the "d" parameter to
dsz.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

thaler@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) (12/17/88)

You need to use
dsz CON port n speed nnnn d t
the d means don't carrier detect

Maurice Thaler   SYSOP  Audio Projects BBS (608) 836-9473
                 SYSOP  Power Board    BBS (608) 222-8842