[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Harddisk for IBM AT

kgordon@brandx.rutgers.edu (Ken Gordon) (12/15/88)

I want to install a larger harddisk in a true blue IBM AT.  The
computer is about 3 years old, and has a 20M Harddisk presently.  I am
interested in installing something like a Seagate ST4096 80M drive.
Does anyone have a listing of the drives supported by the IBM AT BIOS,
or at least know of a reliable large and fast drive that will work in
this machine?

Alternativly, does anyone know of a BIOS that I can use in a True Blue
that would support large and fast harddisks?

Thanks in advance.

-------Ken Gordon (kgordon@brandx.rutgers.edu)

ward@chinet.chi.il.us (Ward Christensen) (12/17/88)

In article <Dec.15.10.16.15.1988.19445@brandx.rutgers.edu>
  kgordon@brandx.rutgers.edu (Ken Gordon) writes:
>I want to install a larger harddisk in a true blue IBM AT.  The
>computer is about 3 years old, and has a 20M Harddisk presently.  I am
>interested in installing something like a Seagate ST4096 80M drive.
>Does anyone have a listing of the drives supported by the IBM AT BIOS,
>or at least know of a reliable large and fast drive that will work in
>this machine?
  Try running this little BASICA program.  it should dump your ROM and
tell you what drives you can directly support.
  Also, you should be aware that many large drives ship with add-on software
for supporting the drive, partitioning it, etc.
10 'DSKPRM/BAS by Doug Hogarth - 12/21/86
20 DEF SEG=0
30 O=PEEK(&H41*4)+(PEEK(&H41*4+1)*256)
40 SEGMENT=PEEK(&H41*4+2)+(PEEK(&H41*4+3)*256)
50 DEF SEG=SEGMENT
60 IF PEEK(O)+PEEK(O+1)*256<>306 THEN O=O-16:GOTO 60
70 PRINT"Type Cyls","Heads","Pre-comp","Secs","  Size"
80 TYPE=TYPE+1
90 CYLS=PEEK(O)+PEEK(O+1)*256
100 HEADS=PEEK(O+2)
110 PRECOMP=PEEK(O+5)+PEEK(O+6)*256
120 SECS=PEEK(O+14)
125 IF SECS = 0 THEN SECS = 17 'Ward C mod
130 SIZE=(CYLS*HEADS*SECS*512)/(1024*1024)
140 IF (CYLS>2047) OR (HEADS>16) THEN END
150 PRINT TYPE;
160 PRINT TAB(5)CYLS,HEADS,PRECOMP,SECS,
165 PRINT USING "###.##Mb";SIZE
170 O=O+16
180 GOTO 80