[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Re^2: 80186

viggo@freja.diku.dk (Allan Kim Schougaard) (12/17/88)

spectre@cisunx.UUCP (Robert Sillett) writes:

>>Sorry, Dion, but I thought the thread of this discussion was about
>>PC-type machines.  In that context the 80186/80188, although not
>>unknown, is not at all popular.

>If you have an open mind, you can argue that the 80186 is popular with
>PC's.  After all, the NEC V20/30 chips support the 80186's code.  Not
>only did Intel add support chips to the 80186, but they added a few more
>code inctructions (4 if memory serves).  I realize that this is a minute
>point, but it's nice to be able to write code written for the 286 at work
>and run it on my V20 at home.  This can be done directly with MASM or even
>Turbo C -- just set the code generation for 80186/80286.

I would like som verification on this! It is true that V30 can work like an
80186 but can a V20 ? And can they both work like 80286 ? If will they run
*OS 2* ?

I have the following info: The V50 can (with some special memoryhandling
system) be made to work *exactly* like a 80286.

(I got this info from a japanese who worked at Intel (I think) in Japan.
Unfortunately I have lost his letter. ! If you are reading this please
respond !)

			Viggo at DIKU
			Viggo@freja.dk

simon@ms.uky.edu (Simon Gales) (12/19/88)

In article <4299@freja.diku.dk> viggo@freja.diku.dk (Allan Kim Schougaard) writes:
>I would like som verification on this! It is true that V30 can work like an
>80186 but can a V20 ? And can they both work like 80286 ? If will they run
>*OS 2* ?

The 80186 has extra support chips integrated into the same chip, and some of
the 286's nice instructions, but I don't think it has the 'protected' mode
of the 286.  Without it, it cannot run Os/2.

  Simon Gales@University of Ky         UUCP:   {rutgers, uunet}!ukma!simon
                                       Arpa:   simon@ms.uky.edu
  MaBell: (606) 263-2285/257-3597      BitNet: simon@UKMA.BITNET