[comp.sys.ibm.pc] sdespeerately looking for editor

rudolf@acadch.UUCP (Rudolf Kuenzli) (12/14/88)

In article <459@infohh.rmi.de> shimoda@infohh.rmi.de (Markus Schmidt) writes:

>Hello!
>
>I am looking desperately for a VI-like editor for the IBM-PC.
>If anyone knows a PD or a commercial product, please let me know!
>Please answer via mail, since I am not reading this group very often.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>Markus
>
>shimoda@infohh.rmi.UUCP

One of the VI's I know is named PC/VI and comes from

            Custom Software Systems
            P.O.Box 678
            Natick, MA 01760
            (617) 653-2555

They have other UNIX Utilities for PC's too: PC/TOOLS, PC/SPELL, etc.

Rudolf Kuenzli      ....{uunet|sun}!acad!acadch!rudolf

caromero@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (C. Antonio Romero) (12/19/88)

In article <511@acadch.UUCP> rudolf@curano.UUCP (Rudolf Kuenzli) writes:
>In article <459@infohh.rmi.de> shimoda@infohh.rmi.de (Markus Schmidt) writes:
>>I am looking desperately for a VI-like editor for the IBM-PC.
>>If anyone knows a PD or a commercial product, please let me know!

>One of the VI's I know is named PC/VI and comes from
> Custom Software Systems - P.O.Box 678 - Natick, MA 01760

I thought CSS had run into major copyright problems or something-- something
abou AT&T source used in a lot of their products.  My impression was that this
product was no longer on the market.

Now, I almost hate to say this, because I know ten thousand others
are going to also, but...
The MKS Toolkit offers a very nice, very complete VI re-implementation,
along with about 100 other UNIX System V utilities, at a pretty fair price.
My favorite tools were probably the ksh re-implementation and the awk interpreter.
The shell had some problems with Novell networks, but apart from that was pretty
reliable and very faithful to the original.

Send e-mail to mks!toolkit or look in any programmer-oriented publication
that pays much attention to PC's for their ads.

I don't use their products anymore, I changed jobs and now have a real machine
(Sun-3 -- well, okay, sort of real) on my desk... ;-)
-Antonio Romero      romero@confidence.princeton.edu