[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Moving stuff from one machine to another

joss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Josh Sirota) (12/14/88)

My father has finally upgraded his machine.  The old machine is an original
PC-1 with an add-on hard disk (those pre-XT machines didn't support hard
disks).  His new machine is an Televideo AT with both a 1.2M floppy and a
360K floppy.

Since the old machine has only 360K floppies, he would have to use that to
transport the stuff from his old non-DOS compatible hard disk to the new one,
but that's a bitch (40MB!) ... can anyone think of a better solution?  I have
already proven that it would be faster to use the floppy than to do an RS232
transfer, even at 19200 Kbaud.

It's unclear as to whether or not the old hard disk will work in the new
machine.  It's probably worth trying.  Any other suggestions are much
appreciated.

Please send replies by e-mail ... most people probably don't care how Dad gets
around this ... :-)

Josh
--
Josh Sirota
INTERNET: joss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu        BITNET: joss_ss@uordbv.bitnet

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (12/16/88)

In article <485@ur-cc.UUCP> joss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Josh Sirota) writes:
=Since the old machine has only 360K floppies, he would have to use that to
=transport the stuff from his old non-DOS compatible hard disk to the new one,
=but that's a bitch (40MB!) ... can anyone think of a better solution?  I have
=already proven that it would be faster to use the floppy than to do an RS232
=transfer, even at 19200 Kbaud.

I would be interested in seeing your proof.  I frequently connect two
computers via their serial ports and fire up comm programs that can
handle batch file transfers.  I start up the xfr and walk away,
returning megabytes later.

Pete

--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334

keithe@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (12/20/88)

In article <492@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>In article <485@ur-cc.UUCP> joss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Josh Sirota) writes:
>=I have
>=already proven that it would be faster to use the floppy than to do
>=an RS232 transfer, even at 19200 Kbaud.
>
>I would be interested in seeing your proof.  I frequently connect two
>computers via their serial ports and fire up comm programs...

And there's Eric Meyer's  "zip" program distributed a while ago that
transfers files at 115kbaud (yes, that's 115k) using tricks like
Lap-link does to get the speed out of the UARTs.  Zip allows you to
specify files to be transferred with wildcards, comma-delimited lists,
and by directory name (entire directory contents), does a CRC verify and
can be used on COM1 or COM2.  The version I have is 1.2.

keith