[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Protecting directories from peeping eyes

greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg Thompson) (12/06/88)

	I am in need of protecting directories from being read by "normal"
means.  I need it so that ncd and other dos directory utility programs
won't acknowledge the directory.  Or something that will password the
directory so that nothing can get to it unless some sort of password is
given to unprotect it.
	If enough responses I will sumarize to the net.

					GRegg Thompson

--
To live is to die, to die is to live forever;			GRegg Thompson
Where will you spend eternity?			     greggt@vax1.cc.uakron.edu

spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (12/06/88)

In article <46@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU> greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg Thompson) writes:

>	I am in need of protecting directories from being read by "normal"
>means.  I need it so that ncd and other dos directory utility programs
>won't acknowledge the directory.  Or something that will password the
>directory so that nothing can get to it unless some sort of password is
>given to unprotect it.

Gregg,

The only thing you can do with DOS is set the "hidden" bit. If this is
set DIR won't list the directory, but it's still there. I think,
though, that most DOS directory utilities will find it.

In Turbo-C this is done as follows:

	_chmod("filename",FA_HIDDEN);

and reversed by

	_chmod("filename",0);

+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs.bitnet     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | internet: spolsky@cs.yale.edu     voicenet: 203-436-1483 |
+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
        |                                            #include <disclaimer.h>
| | | | | | | | |
\ \ \ \_|_/ / / /
  \_\_\_|_/_/_/

        |  happy hannuka!
       _|_

jmj@mhuxu.UUCP (J. M. Johnson) (12/06/88)

In article <46@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU>, greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg Thompson) writes:
> 	I am in need of protecting directories from being read by "normal"
> means.  I need it so that ncd and other dos directory utility programs
> won't acknowledge the directory.  Or something that will password the
> directory so that nothing can get to it unless some sort of password is
> given to unprotect it.

     There are a couple of things you could do to make it damned difficult
for any novice to poke around in your directory.

     1) When you create the directory add a special character or two.
        This is done by holding the ALT key and typing the decimal
        equivalent for a character on the keypad.  Try it with a letter
        first.

     2) Set the hidden bit in the file attributes for the directory.  There
        are many PD programs that can do this.

Directories hidden this way can still be detected and opened with some
difficulty.  Using CHKDSK /V will reveal the directory name and if you
redirect this command to a file and dump the hex codes to another file or
the screen, you can view the special character/characters used in the name.

Most people would never figure all this out so your directory would probably
be fairly safe hiding it this way.

Remember, anytime you want to access the directory you have to enter the
special character/characters on the keypad while you type in the name.

--
       Life's just a game, you fly a paper plane, there is no end. - TBA

J. M. Johnson, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Reading, PA            ...!att!mhuxu!jmj

nanook@novavax.UUCP (Keith Dickinson) (12/06/88)

in article <46@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU>, greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg Thompson) says:

> 	I am in need of protecting directories from being read by "normal"
> means.  I need it so that ncd and other dos directory utility programs
> won't acknowledge the directory.  Or something that will password the
> directory so that nothing can get to it unless some sort of password is
> given to unprotect it.
> 	If enough responses I will sumarize to the net.
>
> 					GRegg Thompson
>
> --
> To live is to die, to die is to live forever;			GRegg Thompson
> Where will you spend eternity?			     greggt@vax1.cc.uakron.edu

Gregg,
  There is a simple way to do what you are asking. It's not passwording, but
instead makes the directory "invisible" or hidden. You will need some program
(such as norton utilities or something) that will allow you to edit the actual
directory that your sub-directory is listed in.

  When you look at an actual file entry in the dirctory, the FIRST thing that
is part of the 32 byte listing is the file name. If you count out from the
first letter of the name to the 11th byte you will be able to change the
file attributes for the directory. You _should_ see probably a 10(hex) in
the position. 10H indicates that the file is a directory. By changing the
bit-switches you can change the attributes of the file listing. Below is an
list of the bit values and what they do:

Bit	Hex	Dec	What it Does
0	1	1	Read only flag.
1	2	2	Hidden File... (set this bit for invisible entries!)
2	4	4	System file (can't be moved or opened!)
3	8	8	Entry is the Volume Label!
4	10	16 	Entry is a sub directory.
5	20	32	Archive bit (flag for backup programs. no actual funct)
6	40	64	N/A (no use)
7	80	128	N/A (no use)

If you had a directory entry and the value of the byte 11 was 10H (plain entry
for a directory), you would set bit 1 (by adding 2 to it) making the entry
12H. This would make the directory entry a HIDDEN DIRECTORY. It wll NOT be
viewed by most NORMAL DOS programs, but some (most actualy) utilities that
show graphic trees tend to make the directory visible. Also a chkdsk/v will
list the directory and it's contents during the run.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to write!

Keith Dickinson
Nanook of the South
-------
_   /|  | Fidonet  : 369/2 [(305) 421-8593] Brave Mew World South
\'o.O'  | Internet : nanook@muadib.FIDONET.ORG
=(___)= | UUCP     : (novavax,hoptoad!ankh)!muadib!nanook | nanook@novavax
   U    | USNail   : 433 SE 13th CT. J-202, Deerfield Beach, Fl. 33441
  Ack!  | Disclamer: This message was created by a faulty AI program.
Don't blame me...I voted for Bill'n'Opus in '88

greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg Thompson) (12/07/88)

Hiding a directory doesn't solve the problem.  Norton utility ncd will still
see the directory even if it is hidden.  I need something that will keep people
from finding the directory even with norton and hiding the directory doesn't
do it.  Sorry guys.

--

matt@nbires.nbi.com (Matthew Meighan) (12/07/88)

In article <48@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU> greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg Thompson) writes:

>Hiding a directory doesn't solve the problem.  Norton utility ncd will still
>see the directory even if it is hidden.  I need something that will keep people
>from finding the directory even with norton and hiding the directory doesn't
>do it.  Sorry guys.

Another approach I have used, also not fool proof, is to put illegal
characters in the directory name -- spaces are good; I can't remember
if you can get backspaces in there or not.   But somehow I got some
invisible characters into directory names once (it's been a while) --
you might try ascii 255  (decimal), which prints as a space on the
screen, as a trailing character in the directory name, and you might
try some regular spaces, too.  You can easily insert these characters
into the name if you edit the directory directly with NU or debug or
some such.

This won't really give you what you want, either, but it would slow
someone down a bit...

--
---------
Matt Meighan            "The eighties are the fifties in color."  - Cowtown

marc@rna.UUCP (Marc Johnson) (12/07/88)

In article <46@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU>, greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg Thompson) says:
]
]
] 	I am in need of protecting directories from being read by "normal"
] means.  I need it so that ncd and other dos directory utility programs
] won't acknowledge the directory.  Or something that will password the
] directory so that nothing can get to it unless some sort of password is
] given to unprotect it.
] 	If enough responses I will sumarize to the net.
]
] 					GRegg Thompson
]

I have seen a program called SecretDisk, which creates a completely hidden
logical drive on your hard disk, accessible only by "mounting" with a password.
It's extremely effective, as the disk (say, "D:") isn't even recognized by the
system if you haven't mounted it.  By far the most effective scheme I've seen.
I'm afraid I don't know who makes it--try scanning BYTE or PC Mag.

You might also try using PKPAK/PKUNPAK with the password option.  This will
allow you to encrypt whichever files you want, and optionally combine several
files into one archive.  If you want to hide the very existence of files, this
won't do it.  Combined with the earlier suggestions of hiding the directory,
it might be sufficient for your needs.

marc

= Marc Johnson			    BITNET:   rna!marc@rockvax.bitnet         =
= Rockefeller Univ. Neurobiology    UUCP:     ...cmcl2!rna!marc               =
= New York City                     INTERNET: marc%rna@rocky2.rockefeller.edu =
=                                             (129.85.2.1)                    =
=                                                                             =
= "Gimme the beat boys and free my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock & roll =
=                           ...and drift away"                                =

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (12/07/88)

}
}Gregg,
}  There is a simple way to do what you are asking. It's not passwording, but
} [hiding the directory].

Since most utilities will make the directory visible anyway, another
possibility is to leave the directory in plain sight, but make it impossible
to change to it without knowing the trick.  Just type
        "MKDIR FOO "
where the last "blank" is really an Alt-255.  You could even put the directory
in your path as the last entry without the Alt-255 being noticed.  It does,
however, show up with CHKDSK/V.

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Vidiot (Vid-e-it)) (12/07/88)

In article <48@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU> greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg Thompson) writes:
<
<Hiding a directory doesn't solve the problem.  Norton utility ncd will still
<see the directory even if it is hidden.  I need something that will keep people
<from finding the directory even with norton and hiding the directory doesn't
<do it.  Sorry guys.

If you want to hide a directory for Norton, you will even end up hiding it
from DOS.  In this case you might as well remove the directory.  In order
for DOS to be able to still use the directory to find things, I assume you
still want to be able to get at stuff there, all you can do is hide it.
Since DOS doesn't have Unix mode bits, you are kind-of-out-of-luck.

Also, you can NEVER hide anything from Norton's Utilities, since the user
can look at every sector on the hard/floppy disk and can do pattern searches.
With the tools that are out there, the only completely hidden directory is
one that doesn't exist in any form.
--
	       harvard-\	 att--\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!brown

mitch@arcturus.UUCP (Mitchell S. Gorman) (12/08/88)

In article <44916@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) writes:
> In article <46@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU> greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg Thompson) writes:
> >
> >	I am in need of protecting directories from being read by "normal"
> >means.  I need it so that ncd and other dos directory utility programs
> >won't acknowledge the directory.  Or something that will password the
> >directory so that nothing can get to it unless some sort of password is
> >given to unprotect it.

	Ok, here's something I discovered while playing around with
Norton Utilities.  It's got a lot of holes in it, and if you do this
and then run CHKDSK, you WILL lose whatever was stored in the
directory you are hiding, but here goes:

	First, make sure that you have a volume label for the disk, and
	that it's directory entry comes BEFORE the entry for the sub-
	directory.  (Use Norton, or some similar program which shows
	directory as is exists on the disk, displaying all attributes
	for all entries.)

	Next, to hide the directory, simply turn on the Volume Label
	bit.  That's it.  The directory is completely sealed.  Any
	files within the directory cannot now be found, by Norton's FF,
	or by any other program I wot of.

	To unhide it, RE-set the bit - there's that pesky directory
	again, with all the files intact.

	The danger with this method of hiding a directory is that the
FAT must be treated very gingerly, else you'll lose the hidden
directory and all its files.  When you make a directory into a volume
label, the FAT still has the allocations for the hidden files, but a
program like CHKDSK will not be able to find the files that the FAT
says it knows about, and poof!  scads and scads of FILExxxx.CHK!!

	Like I said, this is NOT something that anyone who's not on
intimate terms with a program like NORTON should attempt.  If the files
get munched, there is NO WAY to recover them that I wot of, and I don't
want to hear from anyone who tried this!!!

	Mitch @ Rockwell, Anaheim

Disclaimer:	I have no association with Norton Utilities (although I
		did once send them my resume.  Suffice it to say that
		I work for Rockwell!).

jamesa@amadeus.LA.TEK.COM (James Akiyama) (12/08/88)

> Joel writes:
>
> The only thing you can do with DOS is set the "hidden" bit. If this is
> set DIR won't list the directory, but it's still there. I think,
> though, that most DOS directory utilities will find it.

Actually, another way of doing it (outside the "normal" means of DOS) is to
build a "non-DOS" partition, then use a custom DOS device driver to handle
it.  Note that you don't even have to use a DOS file system (in fact, from
a security standpoint, it probably better not to).  This alternate partition
can then be encrypted for additional security, if desired.

I've written a similar driver (actually mine was to allow very fast I/O by
"raw" dumping to a non-DOS partition), but the concept should be the same;
unfortunately the source is not public domain.

James E. Akiyama
jamesa@amadeus.LA.TEK.COM
UUCP: ....!tektronix!amadeus!jamesa
ARPA: jamesa%amadeus.LA.TEK.COM@RELAY.CS.NET
James E. Akiyama
jamesa@amadeus.LA.TEK.COM
UUCP: ....!tektronix!amadeus!jamesa
ARPA: jamesa%amadeus.LA.TEK.COM@RELAY.CS.NET

derek@hsi.UUCP (Derek Lee-Wo) (12/08/88)

There is a public domain program out there that allows you to password
protect your hard-drive. I know because my room-mate last year had it on his
computer for a few weeks. I think it could have also password-protected just
a single directory.

I don't have the faintess idea what the name was, but he got it off a bulletin
board in Rochester, NY.

--
|Derek Lee-Wo, Health Systems International, New Haven, CT 06511.             |
|E-mail address :- ...!harvard!yale!hsi!derek. Phone :- (203)777-3125.        |

thaler@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) (12/09/88)

I think the low tech solution is sometimes the best. For example, my SO
keeps a $2 LCD clock attached to the side of her computer instead of
using a TSR. How about saving your secret files, and placing them on a
floppy disk in your sock drawer.

Maurice Thaler   SYSOP  Audio Projects BBS (608) 836-9473
                 SYSOP  Power Board    BBS (608) 222-8842

simon@ms.uky.edu (Simon Gales) (12/09/88)

In article <2961@arcturus> mitch@arcturus.UUCP (Mitchell S. Gorman) writes:

>	Ok, here's something I discovered while playing around with
>Norton Utilities.  It's got a lot of holes in it, and if you do this
>and then run CHKDSK, you WILL lose whatever was stored in the
>directory you are hiding, but here goes:

  [ Stuff about setting Volume-Label bit on dir to be hidden ]

>	The danger with this method of hiding a directory is that the
>FAT must be treated very gingerly, else you'll lose the hidden
>directory and all its files.  When you make a directory into a volume
>label, the FAT still has the allocations for the hidden files, but a
>program like CHKDSK will not be able to find the files that the FAT
>says it knows about, and poof!  scads and scads of FILExxxx.CHK!!
>
>	Like I said, this is NOT something that anyone who's not on
>intimate terms with a program like NORTON should attempt.  If the files
>get munched, there is NO WAY to recover them that I wot of, and I don't
>want to hear from anyone who tried this!!!

Seems like chkdsk would recover all of the files intact, but with new
names (ie: file0000.chk ...).    When chkdsk looked at the FAT, it
would see a lost chain for each file in the hidden directory, and would
recover each chain into its own new file (file0000.chk...).  I think
this is how chkdsk works, if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct
me  :-?.

All that is left is to look into the files and restore their names.
There will also be some lost clusters due to the clusters the directory
itself was stored in.

Of course, if you did all this, and then un-hid your directory and played
in it, you would be in it up to your ears.

Instead of hiding directories, why not stash your files in an encrypted
archive - you could even have your program call the archiver to do the
packing and unpacking.  (What are the legalities with using zoo this way?)

  Simon Gales@University of Ky         UUCP:   {rutgers, uunet}!ukma!simon
                                       Arpa:   simon@ms.uky.edu
  MaBell: 263-2285/257-3597            BitNet: simon@UKMA.BITNET

cpp90221@dcscg1.UUCP (Duane L. Rezac) (12/09/88)

From article <46@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU>, by greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg Thompson):

> 	I am in need of protecting directories from being read by "normal"
> means.  I need it so that ncd and other dos directory utility programs
> won't acknowledge the directory.  Or something that will password the
> directory so that nothing can get to it unless some sort of password is
> given to unprotect it.

I have been experimenting with this approace. I have not had much time to
test it, so be carefull if you try it.

   I have been able to hide directories by hiding an entire drive. This has
   worked on a Zenith Z-248, I'm not sure how well it will work on other
   systems. My procedure is as follows:

   1. use dsksetup to change the partition assingment flag to manual

   2. use part to create a new partition to hold the data you wish to hide

   3. re-boot the system

   4. use asgnpart to assign the new partition to the next available drive

   5. copy all of the file you with to hide to the new drive

   6. re-boot the system

   When you boot the system with the partition assingment flag set to manual,
   DOS (at least it does on the Zenith, DOS 3.3) will only assign the first
   partition of the drive, and will not assign any other partitions. If you
   try to access the "hidden" drive, you will get a "drive not valid" or
   similar error message. To access the "hidden" drive, use asgnpart to
   assign that partition to the next available drive, and then you will have
   access to the "hidden" data. Chances are that if anyone can figure out
   what you have done, there will not be any way to prevent them from finding
   the files.

   DISCLAMER: I HAVE ONLY EXPERIMENTED WITH THIS METHOD A FEW TIMES. THERE MAY
	      BE SOME HIDDEN SIDE EFECTS OR DANGERS, SO USE WITH CAUTION.

--
+-----------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
| Duane L. Rezac        |These views are my own, and NOT representitive of  |

paulg@iisat.UUCP (Paul Gauthier) (12/09/88)

In article <3513@nicmad.UUCP>, brown@nicmad.UUCP (Vidiot (Vid-e-it)) writes:
> In article <48@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU> greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg Thompson) writes:
> <
> <Hiding a directory doesn't solve the problem.  Norton utility ncd will still
> <see the directory even if it is hidden.  I need something that will keep people
> <from finding the directory even with norton and hiding the directory doesn't
> <do it.  Sorry guys.

	Well, there is a rather round-a-bout way to do it. Use ARC (PK or
whatever, most can do this) to ARC up the files into an ARChive and use the
file encryption method. Then just have your batch file un-arc it with
the password before you use it, into a temp dir. When you're done just
delete the temp dir (in the batch file).
	No one will be able to use a disk-sector searcher to find the files
cause they're encoded in the ARChive. If you name the arc into something
that wouldn't raise suspicions and place it somewhere obscure in the dir
tree no one will even know the arc is there. As an added bonus, the arc'd
file takes up much less space on your HD... :-)

--
|=============================================================================|
| Paul Gauthier:    {uunet, utai, watmath}!dalcs!iisat!{paulg | brains!paulg} |

hollen@spot.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) (12/09/88)

OK - here's another low tech way to protect a directory.   Make the
directory and all its sub-directories and resident files.  Go up to
the top directory and use PCTOOLS or NORTON or similar file
utility and HIDE the directory.  You or any program that KNOWS ABOUT
THE DIRECTORY BY NAME can access it.  Anyone mucking around the disk
without a file utility which will show hidden files, will not know
about it and if they cannot supply the path by name, they cannot
access it.  It's not password protection, but it is a first level
of security.  I use this method for my consulting clients to put
a directory for myself with tools which they should not use (NORTON)
because of a lack of knowledge.

	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121

                                seismo!s3sun!megatek!hollen
                                ames!scubed/

dmnhieu@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Duy-Minh NHIEU) (12/10/88)

I wonder if the following solution works, my knowledge to pc-dos is minimal,

   1) Find all clusters occupied by that directory and the files under it.
   2) Remember the above clusters
   3) Delete that directory
   4) Mark the remembered clusters bad so that when you save new files, the
      system won't use those cluster.

to retrieve information from that directory, one has to unmark the clusters and
undelete that directory.

It may sound complicated but one can always write a program that do the above.

huilin@hpindda.HP.COM (Hui Lin Lim) (12/10/88)

 marc@rna.UUCP (Marc Johnson) writes:
> In article <46@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU>, greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg Thompson) says:
> ] 	I am in need of protecting directories from being read by "normal"
> ] means.  I need it so that ncd and other dos directory utility programs
> ] won't acknowledge the directory.  Or something that will password the
> ] directory so that nothing can get to it unless some sort of password is
> ] given to unprotect it.
> ] 	If enough responses I will sumarize to the net.
> ]
> ] 					GRegg Thompson
>
> I have seen a program called SecretDisk, which creates a completely hidden
> logical drive on your hard disk, accessible only by "mounting" with a password.
> It's extremely effective, as the disk (say, "D:") isn't even recognized by the
> system if you haven't mounted it.  By far the most effective scheme I've seen.
> I'm afraid I don't know who makes it--try scanning BYTE or PC Mag.

The program is from Lattice (the same people who do Lattice C,
Sidetalk etc.  I would agree with the comments above, the only
problem is a loss of speed in reading stuff off it since it is
encrypted.  I have also come across some Syquest 5Mb (removable
hard disk) units where they implement encryption (be warned that
it's very slow tho') so that might be an alternative.

Hui-Lin Lim
ARPA: huilin%hpda@hplabs.hp.com
UUCP: {ucbvax,hplabs}!hpda!huilin
Phone:  (408)447-2835

pervect@bsu-cs.UUCP (Barrett Kreiner) (12/11/88)

In article <190@nbires.nbi.com>, matt@nbires.nbi.com (Matthew Meighan) writes:
[Munch Munch]
> Another approach I have used, also not fool proof, is to put illegal
> characters in the directory name -- spaces are good; I can't remember
> if you can get backspaces in there or not.   But somehow I got some
> invisible characters into directory names once (it's been a while) --
> you might try ascii 255  (decimal), which prints as a space on the
> screen, as a trailing character in the directory name, and you might
> try some regular spaces, too.  You can easily insert these characters
> into the name if you edit the directory directly with NU or debug or
> some such.
>
> This won't really give you what you want, either, but it would slow
> someone down a bit...
>
> --
> ---------
> Matt Meighan            "The eighties are the fifties in color."  - Cowtown
> matt@nbires.nbi.com (nbires\!matt)

Oh! yes, you can do Wonderful things with directory names.  A favorite trick
is to create a directory, hide it, put a Delete as the first character
(ascii 127 or hex 7f) then place a hidden batch file that has the 'CD' within
the directory.  Finally, adding the directory to the search path and there
you have it: a simple password'd directory.  No flames about how NCD and
XTREE can change this, my end users have problems inserting the disk in the
proper way.  A realated note: once you "Hide" a directory, it becomes
invisible to "TREE", a useful feature.  I have also found that playing with
the R/O, System and Hidden bit's in different combinations will confuse some
(not many) NCD *type* programs (I've had a couple say it became a 'file').

Looking forward to Finals next week :-[
|---------------------------------------------------------------------|-----|
| Barrett Kreiner    UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!pervect | :-] |
| Technical Manager, Fine Arts Computer Lab|--------------------------|-----|
| Ball State University. Muncie, Indiana   |This space left blank on purpose|
|------------------------------------------|--------------------------------|
| How am I computing?  Let my parents know at ddsw1!kreiner  (HI ma & dad)  |
| Disclamer: "I don't know them!  I'm a student, nobody listens to ME!"     |

magik@chinet.chi.il.us (Ben Liberman) (12/11/88)

In article <239d466a@ralf> Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
>...but make it impossible to change to it without knowing the trick. Just type
>        "MKDIR FOO "
>where the last "blank" is really an Alt-255.

One of the orig. requirments was immunity from access with Norton util.  One of
the things that Norton Change Dir. (ncd) will do, if you type a partial name,
is find the next dir. that is as similar a possible.  Thus, "ncd FOO" would take
you to the dir. without regard to the end of it's name.  It would also show up
in an "ncd" map, so you could go right to it.
--
	------------	----------------------
	Ben Liberman  	magik@chinet.chi.il.us

rudolf@acadch.UUCP (Rudolf Kuenzli) (12/13/88)

A good way to hide directories is using 'Secret-Disk' from Lattice. This software
encrypts a part of the harddisk. Activating that part with your password gives
you an additional logical drive which can be handled like an ordinary disk.
Naturally this software is not free. It's being used in our company since years
without problems.

Rudolf Kuenzli               ....uunet!acad!acadch!rudolf

bjornb@rhi.hi.is (Bjorn H Bjornsson) (12/15/88)

Another method is
	MD subdir<CTRL><BS>
The <CTRL><BS> will show up on the screen as char 127 (a little house),
but is impossible (?) to reproduce without ctrl-bs.  Alt-127 won't do.
I saw this done a year ago.  Of course I was still able to get down with PcTools
and Nortons CD, but I stumbled upon <ctrl><bs> last month by accident.
(or was it maybe <shift><bs> ?)

Bjossi

--
Bjorn Heimir Bjornsson		Internet:  bjornb@rhi.hi.is
University of Iceland		UUCP:	   {mcvax,enea}!hafro!rhi!bjornb

stl@sfsup.UUCP (Saify Lanewala) (12/15/88)

In article <213@hsi86.hsi.UUCP>, derek@hsi.UUCP (Derek Lee-Wo) writes:

> There is a public domain program out there that allows you to password
> protect your hard-drive. I know because my room-mate last year had it on his
> computer for a few weeks. I think it could have also password-protected just
> a single directory.

I know (knew ?) of a company in New York City that had developed a
plug-in board that allowed one to set up levels of file/program/directory
protection via encryption.  The twist was that application programs
had no idea that the files were encrypted, AND you did not have to go
through a manual encrypt/decrypt process.  The files in question were
always stored on disk in encrypted form, and decrypted on the fly when
accessed.

If you are interested, the company was called Progamit, Inc.

I don't know if they are still in business, though.

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with Programit, Inc. execpt for
             some brochures I got once long ago (about 1983, I believe).

Saify Lanewala
UUCP: ...attunix!stl

oawx@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (12/18/88)

Here's a pain-in-the-butt way, and I don't know if ncd or other
programs can see it.

Use a disk search utility (NU or whatever) to scan the disk for
the name of the directory.  When you find the sector that the
directory name is on, edit it.  It is at this point that you
can do whatever you want, ie put weird chars in the name field,
change pointers to a bogus locations, or whatever.

The pain comes in that you will have to re-edit that sector
and restore the previous values to
re-gain access to that directory.

Happy hacking,

Eric Cox

I78BC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Michael Polymenakos) (12/20/88)

In article <17581@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU>, oawx@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU says:
>Use a disk search utility (NU or whatever) to scan the disk for
>the name of the directory.  When you find the sector that the
>directory name is on, edit it.  It is at this point that you
>can do whatever you want, ie put weird chars in the name field,
>change pointers to a bogus locations, or whatever.
>
>Eric Cox

 Even better, use lowercase characters in the directory name. While
most programs can enter a directory with a weird name (especially NCD
and XTREE - type programs), using lowercase characters will choke most
programs (every program I've tried this with, anyway).
 Same pain as above though: You have to manually change the name to a
standard one later, in order to access the directory. Besides, there
are many people around who also know how to change back the name.
 Also, such a directory will prevent CHECKDSK or BACKUP from working
properly (no potential damage though).

 You may also want to try this: if you have a partitioned hard disk
(divided to two logical disks) say C and D, then you can store all
your secret data on drive D. Use a program (from drive C !) to
scramble the FAT table or the root directory of D (with direct disk
writes.) Provided you have a way of restoring the tables to their
original state later, this should do the job. NU provides a facility
for editing the FAT table; DEBUG can also do the job (not easily though).
 Remember to turn the machine off (or reboot) immediately after you
scramble the FAT.
 I would not mess with the file pointers; it can create subtle problems
if there are disk writes after the pointers are changed.

-------
|  ||  |   |||||  ||     Michael S. Polymenakos      BC-CUNY

#! rnews           1