[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Underlining on EGA monitors

831059l@aucs.UUCP (Langlois) (12/21/88)

	I've been trying to get underlining to work on an EGA monitor but
I have had only limited success. I got a program from someone who doesn't
know where he got it which allows me to do underlining of light and dark
blue on a black background. By substituting colours I can get underlining of
other colours but always against a black background. WordPerfect 5.0 allows
underlining on different backgrounds. I wonder how they do it. I don't have any
technical information on the EGA bios other than articles in Vol. 5, Numbers
14 and 15 of PC Magazine.

	Thanks in advance.

Steven Langlois     UUCP:     {uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!831059l
Acadia University   BITNET:   Steven@Acadia
Wolfville, NS       Internet: Steven%Acadia.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
CANADA  B0P 1X0

toma@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (12/23/88)

In article <1457@aucs.UUCP> 831059l@aucs.UUCP (Langlois) writes:

>	I've been trying to get underlining to work on an EGA monitor but
>I have had only limited success. I[...]
>WordPerfect 5.0 allows
>underlining on different backgrounds. I wonder how they do it.

You can run the EGA in a 512 character mode, where 256 characters are
underlined versions of the other 256 characters.  The fonts are stored
in video RAM.  One of the bits in each character position's attribute
byte is used to indicate which set of 256 characters to use.  After
colors (depending on blink-enable bit), and underline enable.

An excellent book on all aspects of the EGA (as well as VGA, MDA, CGA,
and various Hercules cards) is "Programmer's Guide to PC & PS/2 Video
Systems", by Richard Wilton, Microsoft Press, 1987.  Don't program the
display controller without it!

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.TEK.COM
Standard Disclaimers Apply