[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Turbo C 2.0 is wonderful, but... help!

cjeffery@arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) (12/17/88)

I have a neato little program which compiled to 48K under TC 1.0 LMM,
but now compiles to over 100K under TC 2.0!  Turning off debugging
information only brings it down to 90K!  The program does not use
graphics, etc. and its own .OBJ files are still small...so the extra
40K must be linking in with the new, huge CL.LIB standard library.
But what could make it that drastic, and what must I do to get my nice
48K .EXE file back under 2.0?
--
--

spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (12/18/88)

In article <8404@megaron.arizona.edu> cjeffery@arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) writes:

>I have a neato little program which compiled to 48K under TC 1.0 LMM,
>but now compiles to over 100K under TC 2.0!  Turning off debugging
>information only brings it down to 90K!  The program does not use
>graphics, etc. and its own .OBJ files are still small...so the extra
>40K must be linking in with the new, huge CL.LIB standard library.
>But what could make it that drastic, and what must I do to get my nice
>48K .EXE file back under 2.0?

Try compiling the production version under 1.x, and just using 2.0 for
debugging/development...

+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs.bitnet     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | internet: spolsky@cs.yale.edu     voicenet: 203-436-1483 |
+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
                                                      #include <disclaimer.h>

bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (12/20/88)

In article <8404@megaron.arizona.edu> cjeffery@arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) writes:
<I have a neato little program which compiled to 48K under TC 1.0 LMM,
<but now compiles to over 100K under TC 2.0!
<But what could make it that drastic, and what must I do to get my nice
<48K .EXE file back under 2.0?

Generate a .MAP file for the one under 1.0 and for the one under 2.0.
Comparing them should give you the information you need.

thaler@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) (12/21/88)

If your executable is larger in Turbo C 2.0, it is possible that you
have the DEBUG turned on. Turn it off and the executable will be much
smaller.

Maurice Thaler   SYSOP  Audio Projects BBS (608) 836-9473
                 SYSOP  Power Board    BBS (608) 222-8842

cww@ndmath.UUCP (Clarence W. Wilkerson) (12/23/88)

You may want set the "iniitalize segments" option off. You can
also try running your .exe file through the Microsoft utility
EXEPACK.