[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Can't create subdirectory

0rrodrig@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Russ Rodriguez) (12/24/88)

Mr. mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP Writes:

>... Now we find that we cannot create another subdirectory
>(message 'cannot create directory').  Someone else who uses this
>machine has a total of 31 subdirectories in the root and has also
>156 files in the root directory!!!(I would never do this)...

Check very carefully to see if a FILE (yes, I said FILE) exists in this
directory by the same name as the directory you are trying to create.  It
might exist as a hidden file.  In either case,  by renaming this file you
will probably be able to create this directory, after which you can rename
the file back to whatever it was.

--
Russell Rodriguez
Disclaimer:   The opinions of Russ Rodriguez are his own and couldn't possibly

mvolo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (12/24/88)

In article <26250@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA>, 0rrodrig@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Russ Rodriguez) writes:
> Mr. mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP Writes:
>
> >... Now we find that we cannot create another subdirectory
> >(message 'cannot create directory').  Someone else who uses this
> >machine has a total of 31 subdirectories in the root and has also
> >156 files in the root directory!!!(I would never do this)...
>
> Check very carefully to see if a FILE (yes, I said FILE) exists in this
> directory by the same name as the directory you are trying to create.  It

We tried this.  No subdirectory name works.  We plan to clear a bunch
of files out of the root and try again.  If this doesn't work, backup
everything and reformat with the desired DOS.

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705     mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP