[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Compaq not compatible

raanan@bc-cis.UUCP (Raanan Herrmann) (12/26/88)

In article <380@ntcsd1.UUCP> dmc@ntcsd1.UUCP (David Clemens) writes:
>In article <369@ntcsd1.UUCP> I wrote:
>>I have a problem...
>>   I am currently working with a Compaq 386 that initially had two disk
>>drives and a 20M hard disk running off of a Winchester controller card.
>>We are currently trying to upgrade the hard disk to a 122M Seagate drive
>>which came with it's own controller card, a Western Digital 1003-RAH.
>>   [ rest deleted]

	I had the same problem. As it turns out, Compaq uses a proprietory
disk controler and disk-drives so you must buy (and pay a lot) Compaq disks
only if you want to add another disk. Don't try to use another controller
with the Compaq disk-drives - they have their own disk-drive interface.
	This point to my claim that Compaq should not claim that their
computers are IBM AT compatible as you can not use disk drives that work in
PC AT, in a Compaq.
Ron Herrmann  (jkfmny!ron, ron@jkfmny.UUCP raanan@bklyncis.BITNET)