[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HP DeskJet printer

shum-s@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Sik K. Shum) (12/21/88)

I consider buying a HP DeskJet printer for my pc and would appreciate any
comment about that printer. In particular, I want to know how it compares
with the more expensive HP LaserJet II in terms of quality and speed.
Also, do I need to get a memory expansion in order to print whole-page
graphics? Thanks in advance.

RUSS@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Keith Russ) (12/21/88)

>I consider buying a HP DeskJet printer for my pc and would appreciate any
>comment about that printer. In particular, I want to know how it compares
>with the more expensive HP LaserJet II in terms of quality and speed.
>Also, do I need to get a memory expansion in order to print whole-page
>graphics? Thanks in advance.

I've worked a little with the DeskJet and the LaserJet II, and find that
the DeskJet does a very nice job printing; in fact, I believe it does a
slightly better job on some letters using the symbol set.  It is quite a
bit slower however, not quite as dark a print as the LaserJet (but great
for an inkjet), requires a RAM catridge for any downloadable fonts
you might wish to use, can't use the same downloaded fonts as the LaserJet,
also can't use LaserJet font cartridges...  It is capable of full-page,
300dpi graphics if the graphics are sent serially; offhand, I can't tell
you which programs work that way.  Graphics printing, however, is SLOW.

I have seen somewhere a program that translates HP plotter code for the
DeskJet, and some of the BBS are starting to acquire DeskJet fonts.  I
presume more software support will be forthcoming; for now, you have to
depend on its control code similarity to the LaserJet series (I believe
it uses the control codes of PCL III (and PCL may be wrong; it's been
awhile) whereas the LaserJet II uses PCL IV).

Also, since you're at OSU check out the CTE store in Lord Hall.  They offer
good prices on the cartridges (font and RAM), but the DeskJet price is
the usual.

If you get one, be sure to test various paper brands on it.  The best paper
to use will not bleed with the ink; we found that the xerographic paper we
use is not suitable for the inkjet (no surprise there).  But paper does
make a heck of a difference.

K. Russ
Dept. of Chem. Eng.
OSU

johnl@ima.ima.isc.com (John R. Levine) (12/21/88)

In article <29843@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> you write:
>I consider buying a HP DeskJet printer for my pc and would appreciate any
>comment about that printer. In particular, I want to know how it compares
>with the more expensive HP LaserJet II in terms of quality and speed.
>Also, do I need to get a memory expansion in order to print whole-page
>graphics? Thanks in advance.

I have a Deskjet sitting here right next to my PC.  It's really great.  The
print quality is not quite as good as that of a Laserjet, due to the ink
smearing a little bit, but (after reading an interesting article in the HP
Journal on what they learned about "plain" paper while designing the
Deskjet) I am experimenting with different kinds of paper; it seems that
better paper gives you better results.  It is undeniably slower than a
Laserjet, as it moves the paper slower, and the print head physically
whizzes back and forth across the paper.  If you print your text in draft
mode, which is still pretty nice, it feels a little faster than my old
FX-85 printer.

You can print a full page at 300 DPI with the base printer, although
it will take a while.  It's really a serial printer, and makes no
attempt to buffer a full page.  Although it can back the paper up, it
is not a good idea to do so very much both because it's slow and
because the paper won't be aligned exactly right, so your graphics
program had best print the image from the top of the page to the
bottom.  After limited experimentation, I have found that nearly every
program that prints Laserjet graphics does so from top to bottom, so
they work OK on the Deskjet.  I was also pleased to find that the
thing prints 300 DPI with absolutely no window-shade effect.

Like the Laserjet, it comes with a built-in Courier (typewriter) font.
Unlike the original Laserjet, it has a full PC character set without
needing any mysterious "Y" cartridge.  You can get both ROM font
cartridges with character sets similar to the Laserjet's and RAM
cartridges into which you can download fonts using their font
utilities.  To get a complete set of Times fonts in ROM you have to
buy three cartridges, and there's only two slots.  I have the soft
font kit which includes Times and Helvetica in sizes from 4 to 14
points and one RAM cartridge which is adequate for the document
printing I do.  With a second RAM cartridge, there'd be room for more
fonts at once, but even with one I can produce really ugly pages with
too many fonts.  (I only download 96 char ASCII, if I wanted full
character sets to print, e.g. foreign languages, I'd need a second
cartridge).  Note that the RAM cartridges are used only for storing
fonts; they have no effect on graphics performance.  Also, the
cartridges are not the same as the ones for the Laserjet.  Apparently
the fonts are slightly redesigned for this printer.  Downloading a set
of fonts takes about the same time it takes to run down the hall first
thing in the morning to get a cup of coffee, which is when I do it.

In sum, I think this is a fantastic printer for $700.  It's quiet,
reasonably fast, and produces beautiful output.  The supplies are also
cheap -- it uses any old paper and the ink refills are $18 each.
Also, until Jan 31 HP has an offer under which they'll pay you $100
for any old PC printer you send them if you buy a deskjet, and there's
supposed to be a discount deal on the soft fonts starting next month.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
{ bbn | spdcc | decvax | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (12/22/88)

In article <29843@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, shum-s@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Sik K. Shum) writes:
> I consider buying a HP DeskJet printer for my pc and would appreciate any
> comment about that printer. In particular, I want to know how it compares
> with the more expensive HP LaserJet II in terms of quality and speed.

At least on Xerographic paper, the print quality is enough inferior that
I don't think of the DeskJet as a low-cost replacement for a laser printer,
but rather, as a high-quality, low noise replacement for a 24-pin dot
matrix printer.  Especially when you start making photocopies (and
photocopies of the photocopies), the blurriness associated with the
ink jet approach becomes apparent.

It's much slower than a LaserJet, but compares very favorably with a
dot matrix printer.  It's much quieter than a dot matrix printer, and
even quieter than laser printer.

It's ALMOST compatible with an HP LaserJet.  Some of the hardware
engineers here are using LaserJets for CAD drawings, and hoped that
the DeskJet would provide a low cost alternative, but for reasons
that are not immediately apparent, the LaserJet driver causes the
drawing to cross a page boundary on a DeskJet, and put the last 5%
of the drawing on a separate page.

> Also, do I need to get a memory expansion in order to print whole-page
> graphics? Thanks in advance.

The literature for the DeskJet makes a big deal of the fact that
you can do full page graphics without expansion memory -- but only
in the same sense that any dot matrix can do so -- there's no page
buffer, so your software has to be smart enough to do all your graphics
in the order they are going to be printed on the page.  There is no
landscape mode on the DeskJet, unlike the LaserJet.
--
Clayton E. Cramer
{pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer          (Note new path!)

ward@chinet.chi.il.us (Ward Christensen) (12/23/88)

LJ vs DJ:
 - quality: quite similar.  DJ is more sensitive to the paper quality,
because bad paper will cause the ink to "wick" down the fibers, making it
look a bit like it "splashed".
 - quality: the DJ ink is water soluble.  Smudges if you turn a page with a
licked finger; an envelope in the rain is very bad.  But how often does
your paper get wet?
 - memory: the DJ has 16K standard.  Does all graphics just fine with that.
unlike lasers which have to keep the paper moving once it has started, the
DJ can just print in "bands" and wait for more processing before
continuing.
 - memory: there are font cartridges or memory cartridges FOR SOFT FONTS
(not for graphics or print buffer - 16K is IT!).  I bought soft fonts, but
with my Pagemaker application, I need windows fonts also, so none of the
"add-on" products I've seen so far for soft fonts help - thought the HP
ones work "fine".  BUT, the time to load the fonts, the cost of the soft
fonts plus 2 x 128K RAM cartridges, and the fact I get only 13 of 16 fonts
possible, make me sorry I didn't get the TmsRom & Helv (both "ASCII")
cartridges.  (ASCII means "128 char sets", vs non-ASCII which are 256 char
sets, but don't have as many sizes per cartridge.)
 - speed: no contest.  In draft mode, the DJ is not even 2 pages/min
"quite" - but at 200 CPS draft (100 CPS LQ) it is faster than many matrix
printers.  Depends upon your needs.

carlson@gateway.mitre.org (Bruce Carlson) (12/24/88)

In article <1257@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu> RUSS@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Keith Russ) writes:
>>I consider buying a HP DeskJet printer for my pc and would appreciate any
>>comment about that printer. In particular, I want to know how it compares
>>with the more expensive HP LaserJet II in terms of quality and speed.
>>Also, do I need to get a memory expansion in order to print whole-page
>>graphics? Thanks in advance.

>I've worked a little with the DeskJet and the LaserJet II, and find that
>the DeskJet does a very nice job printing; in fact, I believe it does a
>slightly better job on some letters using the symbol set.  It is quite a
>bit slower however, not quite as dark a print as the LaserJet (but great
>for an inkjet), requires a RAM catridge for any downloadable fonts
>you might wish to use, can't use the same downloaded fonts as the LaserJet,
>also can't use LaserJet font cartridges...  It is capable of full-page,
>300dpi graphics if the graphics are sent serially; offhand, I can't tell
>you which programs work that way.  Graphics printing, however, is SLOW.

Several other points were addresse in the reply.
>K. Russ
>Dept. of Chem. Eng.
>OSU
Now for my comments:

I have a Deskjet at home and I agree with the comments by K. Russ.  On
the subject of print drivers and 300 dpi graphics I have some additional
info.

These programs have 300 dpi drivers (no additional memory needed) for
the deskjet and I have used the applications:
Harvard Graphics 2.1, Windows 2.1, PFS First Publisher 2.0, TurboTax 89
Word 4.0 (HP provided the driver).  HP provided about 15-20 additional
drivers, but I don't remember which applications they were for.

I have used these applications and substituted the Laserjet 300 dpi
driver since they didn't have a Deskjet driver:

Gem Draw+, Quattro.

Most of the applications that have a specific Deskjet driver allow
you to use downloadable fonts or font cartridges.  I don't have either
one, but I think I will probably buy the extra RAM cartridge and the
software downloadable fonts.

If you use good quality paper (smooth, "hard" finish) it is hard to
distinguish Deskjet text from Laserjet text.  Graphics are also
nearly identical unless there are large black areas.  The black areas
tend to get overinked and the paper looks wavy (physically).

HP also offers some emulation cartridges for the Deskjet.  You can get an
Epson cartridge and I think there may be others.

Bruce Carlson
Disclaimer:  I have no connections to HP, except as a customer

carlson@gateway.mitre.org (Bruce Carlson) (12/27/88)

In article <732@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:

>in the same sense that any dot matrix can do so -- there's no page
>buffer, so your software has to be smart enough to do all your graphics
>in the order they are going to be printed on the page.  There is no
>landscape mode on the DeskJet, unlike the LaserJet.
>{pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer          (Note new path!)
>Clayton E. Cramer

Microsoft Windows can print in landscape mode on the Deskjet, but it
is quite slow.  Since the Deskjet does not have a landscape mode it
appears that Windows does everything in graphics mode.  This is okay
if you are printing graphics, but it is very slow to print text in
graphics mode.  The first time I tried it I thought Windows had
locked up or the printer had died, but then just as I walked away it started
to print.

HP now offers a landscape cartridge for the Deskjet, but I've never seen or
used one.

Bruce Carlson