[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 386 Board for AT&T 6300

rgr@m10ux.UUCP (Duke Robillard) (12/27/88)

Hi there,

  I'm looking around for 386 processor boards for my
old 8086 based AT&T 6300.  Does anyone have any
experience/suggestions in this area?  Is the 6300 a
tough machine to get this boards for? Does the semi-standard
Intel one work?  How about the Hummingboard (great name)
from AI Architects?  How about any others?  How about
under $1500 (:->)?

  Thanks in advance.

Bob

--
|  Duke Robillard                  |                                     |
|  ARPA:     rgr@m10ux.att.com     |  UUCP:     {backbone!}att!m10ux!rgr |

ss60s@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (Nathaniel L. Beck) (12/28/88)

In article <797@m10ux.UUCP> rgr@m10ux.UUCP (Duke Robillard) writes:
>Hi there,
>
>  I'm looking around for 386 processor boards for my
>old 8086 based AT&T 6300.  Does anyone have any
>experience/suggestions in this area?  Is the 6300 a
>tough machine to get this boards for? Does the semi-standard
>Intel one work?  How about the Hummingboard (great name)
>from AI Architects?  How about any others?  How about
>under $1500 (:->)?

I have two 6300's running the Applied Reasoning Elevator 386 Board.
Works well except for communications (have to go down to the 086
level
to talk with my Vaxen). Fits in a slot - takes five minutes to go to
where it works. Have had no problems for about 1.5 years (a few
programs generate 387 interrupts that cause the board not to
respond, but
I think that is due to bad programming). Boards cost about 2K,
another
.5 for 387. Comes with 1M of memory. Don't think it will run
anything
but DOS. (memory can be upgraded to many M with $) As far as I know
must other 386 boards assume an 8088 and not an 8086 socket. When I
got the AR board it was the only one I could find that would work in

my ATT6300. May be more now.

Applied Reasoning is at 86(?) Sherman St, Cambridge MA. Don't have
their phone number at hand. In fact, I haven't talked with them in
almost a year - hope they are still in business.

Good luck.

Neal Beck
beck@ucsd.edu