[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 1:1 interleaving MFM controllers; and RLL

keithe@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (12/21/88)

In article <9440002@hpcuhb.HP.COM> raphael@hpcuhb.HP.COM (Bert Raphael) writes:
>I have a Micropolis 44MB MFM disk on a WD1006-WAH 1-1 controller, and
>get 445KB/sec transfers into a 12MH 80286 (0 wait state) AT-clone.
>Seems like a winner to me.

...except for the fact that it doesn't have the floppy controller
on-board so you either keep your old HD/FD controller (disable the
HD section) or buy another card (like the WD FOX) and (this is often
the important part) USE UP ANOTHER SLOT in your machine.

Other than that, yes, the -1006- is a nice controller.

	But I still recommend the Adaptec 2372 RLL for any new
machines.  By the way, the last 2372's we got were "B" versions with
much simplified installation over the "A" version - good work, Adaptec.

kEITH

paul@cgh.UUCP (Paul Homchick) (12/29/88)

In article <4401@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
>In article <9440002@hpcuhb.HP.COM> raphael@hpcuhb.HP.COM (Bert Raphael) writes:
>>I have a ... WD1006-WAH 1-1 controller
>>Seems like a winner to me.
>
>...except for the fact that it doesn't have the floppy controller
>on-board

Western Digital is now selling a WD1006-MM2 and a WD1006-RM2 which are
the MFM and RLL 1:1 controllers with a flopply controller attached.  I
have one of the MFM controllers and it works like a champ.  I swapped
cards with the WD1003 that used to be there, rebooted and used the
non-destructive format feature of SPEESTORE to reformat in place to a
1:1 interleave.  The whole process took about 30 minutes and doubled my
hard disk throughput.

--
Paul Homchick              UUCP:  {allegra | rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
Chimitt Gilman Homchick; 259 Radnor-Chester Road, Suite 140; Radnor, PA  19087