[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Mother board replacement?

I am considering upgrading my current system. I currently have a
IBM XT 4.77MHz and am considering going to a 286 box. Has anyone had
any experience with motherboard replacement as oppossed to accelerator
cards as oppossed to scrap the box and buy a new one advice. I use
my machine for recreation and small amounts of consulting, so I'm not
too interested in investing an amount that I could buy a new car with.

John H. Lawitzke      UUCP: ...rutgers!mailrus!frith!fciiho!jhl
Michigan Farm Bureau        ...decvax!purdue!mailrus!frith!fciiho!jhl
Insurance Group             ...uunet!frith!jhl
"My other computer is an IBM RT Model 135"

mms%sordid@Sun.COM (Michael Silverstein) (12/28/88)

In article <1381@cps3xx.UUCP> jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu (John H. Lawitzke) writes:
>*> I am considering upgrading my current system. I currently have a
>*> IBM XT 4.77MHz and am considering going to a 286 box. Has anyone had
>*> any experience with motherboard replacement as oppossed to accelerator
>*> cards as oppossed to scrap the box and buy a new one advice. I use
>*> my machine for recreation and small amounts of consulting, so I'm not
>*> too interested in investing an amount that I could buy a new car with.
>*>
>*> John H. Lawitzke      UUCP: ...rutgers!mailrus!frith!fciiho!jhl
>*> Michigan Farm Bureau        ...decvax!purdue!mailrus!frith!fciiho!jhl
>*> Insurance Group             ...uunet!frith!jhl
>*> "My other computer is an IBM RT Model 135"

Consider the "Tiger 286 Board", available from CDS Advanced Computer
Products, Oakland Rd, San Jose, CA. Its a replacement motherboard that
lets you retain all your peripherals (disk controller, display board,
keyboard, etc), even your old memory chips if they're fast enough.

8 Mhz version requires 150 nsec rams, sells for about $200. (sans memory).
10 Mhz version requires 120 nsec, costs about $20. more.

Not affiliated, just satisfied, etc., etc.

 *-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=*
 |    /\/\ike Silverstein    | This can't be deja vous. Things are more like  |
 | sun!mms -or- mms@sun.com  |  they are now than they've ever been before!   |
 *-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=*

ward@chinet.chi.il.us (Ward Christensen) (12/30/88)

In article <1381@cps3xx.UUCP> jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu (John H. Lawitzke) writes:
>I am considering upgrading my current system. I currently have a
>IBM XT 4.77MHz and am considering going to a 286 box. Has anyone had
>any experience with motherboard replacement as oppossed to accelerator
>cards as oppossed to scrap the box and buy a new one advice. I use
>my machine for recreation and small amounts of consulting, so I'm not
>too interested in investing an amount that I could buy a new car with.
  I recommend the Bullet 286.  It comes in several flavors.  I bought
one for my 5-slot PC, and upgraded the power supply and added a larger hard
drive (not yet complete).  I have used the Bullet for a couple months, and
really love it.  It included 384K Disk Cache based in ROM, taking only 8K
from the system.  CAUTION: the board can NOT have memory disabled back
below 640K such as to use DesqView.
  The board I got was 8mhz, 0-wait, 5 slot, 0-K for <$300, so add a meg of
memory and voila - not TOO much money, still got your case, power supply,
drives, keyboard, etc.
  I bought it from DP Computers in Salt Lake City.  Others MAY have it
cheaper, but I don't have details.
  P.S. yes, there ARE XT (8-slot) models - quite a few, various speeds,
etc.  You'll find the SLOWEST at say 8mhz to make your system QUITE
acceptable until you can afford say a 386 "next year". (that was my logic).
You could get MORE power for a few more $$ also.
  P.P.S. the SLOTS still run at 4.77MHz, for compatability, so you won't
get QUITE the performance (say, 1:1 or 1:2 interleave on disk controllers)
that you could get from a "baby AT" type board, probably for more $$.