[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Multiple controller cards

dmc@ntcsd1.UUCP (David Clemens) (12/23/88)

In article <369@ntcsd1.UUCP> I wrote:
>I have a problem...
>   I am currently working with a Compaq 386 that initially had two disk
>drives and a 20M hard disk running off of a Winchester controller card.
>We are currently trying to upgrade the hard disk to a 122M Seagate drive
>which came with it's own controller card, a Western Digital 1003-RAH.
>   [ rest deleted]

   Well, I think I got it to work, I'm not sure...

   We had been searching for a solution for some time and my supervisor
finally got fed up and called the company we ordered from and threatened
to cancel the order.  Finally realizing that we were serious (big NO :^)),
the company got to work and came up with this answer:

   On the Winchester card:
      Dip switch settings-   2 and 3 on, all others off.
        (this disables the hard drive off of that card)

   On the Western Digital, WD1003-RAH card:
      Jumper settings-   jumpers on W4=> 1,2
                                    W5=> 2,3
                                    W6=> 1,2
        (this allows the WD card to work with another card)

   When I tried this, I could access the hard drive and use FDISK, but since
we also seem to have a defective hard drive (Seagate 4144R) I can't verify
complete operation at this time. We got the hard disk from the same company
as the card and this will be the second time we've had to send it back
before it works once... my boss is really steamed.

   Well, I hope this works for you. Let me know, if you try it.
                        Thanx in advance,
                            David Clemens

Disclaimer: The above ideas were the result of the head-on collision of two
       apparently random thought processes in the lower portion of my brain.
|  I'm not wierd, I'm normal...        | David Clemens                      |
|  The rest of the world is wierd.     | {backbone}!mcnc!rti!ntcsd1!dmc     |

feg@clyde.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke) (12/27/88)

> |  I'm not wierd, I'm normal...        | David Clemens                      |
> |  The rest of the world is wierd.     | {backbone}!mcnc!rti!ntcsd1!dmc     |

Maybe you aren't, but your spelling of the word weird IS weird.

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (12/30/88)

I wrote a dos device driver that allows me to use two controllers in an
AT type machine.  I currently have 3 drives, 2 running Unix and 1 running
dos.

I wrote it for my own use so it's fairly rough in terms of configuration.
Send me mail if you are interested (I'm undecided about selling
it/shareware/PD).

--
  Jon Zeeff			zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
  Support ISO 8859/1		zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu