[comp.sys.ibm.pc] mpm OPERATING SYSTEM

driesb@neabbs.UUCP (DRIES BESSELS) (12/17/88)

Hello,
Is there anybody in here who has any knowledge about the MPM operating
system. We just got a TELEFAX cluster controller and it has some
systems connected under the MPM OS.
No docs available of course as the manufacturer has made his on subset
of the OS.
Please could anybody provide me with an address or something where I
can get more info or the full set of manuals or whatever...
Thanks a lot in adbance
Dries Bessels
Amsterdam Holland
telex 18288 SITA NL
SITA   AMSNTXS

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (12/19/88)

mpm was written by digital research in monterey california...
it was available only for s-100 computers, i believe...

it later metamorphosed into Concurrent CP/M for the 8088s & 80286s.
which later became Concurrent DOS for the same CPUs...

and which later became Concurrent DOS XM and Concurrent 386 for
the 8088/286, and 80386, respectively...  i never use a PC without
Concurrent XM, if i can avoid it.  it's really nice...  you can't
run every dos application under it, though -- especially the
memory pigs...

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (12/19/88)

In article <77456@neabbs.UUCP>, driesb@neabbs.UUCP (DRIES BESSELS) writes:
> Is there anybody in here who has any knowledge about the MPM operating
> system. We just got a TELEFAX cluster controller and it has some
> systems connected under the MPM OS.
> No docs available of course as the manufacturer has made his on subset
> of the OS.
> Please could anybody provide me with an address or something where I
> can get more info or the full set of manuals or whatever...

The only MPM system I know of was actually spelled MP/M, and was a
relative of CP/M.  It is a multitasking, and can be configured as a
multiuser, operating system for 8080/Z-80 type machines.  I have never
heard of an implementation on 8086 type machines (such as the IBM-PC).

It is, however, substantially similar to CCP/M (Concurrent CP/M) which
DOES run on 8086 machines, including the IBM-PC.  I am not sure if either
MP/M or CCP/M are still available;  the vendor (Digital Research Inc., of
Monterey, CA) is now pushing Concurrent DOS which is a follow-on to CCP/M
and which is claimed to be a significant improvement on CCP/M.  I can't
vouch for that;  the last version I could get to run on my machine was
V 5.0 and they are now up to 6.0 or 7.0 or so.  But they did something
to the O/S after V 5.0 which breaks on a lot of hardware ... I am not the
only person who has had this experience.

If you can verify that this is in fact the O/S in question you may still
be able to dig up some docs from DRI or from someone else.  It is barely
possible that if this fails, I can find some somewhere (however I don't
have them here - it's a question of whether some people I know who used
to run MP/M would be willing to part with old unneeded documentation).

Good luck - if that's the system it is a rather arcane and not very
pretty operating system.

							Bruce C. Wright

louis@auvax.UUCP (Louis Schmittroth) (12/20/88)

In article <2659@rti.UUCP>, bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) writes:
> In article <77456@neabbs.UUCP>, driesb@neabbs.UUCP (DRIES BESSELS) writes:
> > Is there anybody in here who has any knowledge about the MPM operating
> > system. We just got a TELEFAX cluster controller and it has some
>
> The only MPM system I know of was actually spelled MP/M, and was a
> relative of CP/M.  It is a multitasking, and can be configured as a
> multiuser, operating system for 8080/Z-80 type machines.  I have never
> heard of an implementation on 8086 type machines (such as the IBM-PC).

I sold MP/M systems in '83, and there is still one churning away at
the town office here, same Z-80 computer, same Miniscribe disk, has
been run everyday since May of 1983.  They are about to move up to
Xenix, and would have the docs available real cheap I would think.

However, as the poster pointed out, it was not a very pretty
system, but robust, and has done the job.  If you don't need
multiuser, CP/M will be much faster.

--

Louis Schmittroth, Computer Science, Athabasca University
auvax!louis

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (12/25/88)

As quoted from <2259@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> by eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias):
+---------------
| mpm was written by digital research in monterey california...
| it was available only for s-100 computers, i believe...
+---------------

MP/M was available for the Altos 586/986, which was most definitely NOT
S-100 based.  I infer that other non-S-100 releases existed.

+---------------
| and which later became Concurrent DOS XM and Concurrent 386 for
| the 8088/286, and 80386, respectively...  i never use a PC without
+---------------

Errr, CON-DOS XM is 286-only, isn't it?

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, comp.sources.misc moderator and one admin of ncoast PA UN*X
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (01/01/89)

In article <13280@ncoast.UUCP>, allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:

> Errr, CON-DOS XM is 286-only, isn't it?

Concurrent DOS XM is definitely not 286 only, though you can certainly
take better advantage of it with a 286.  Concurrent DOS 386 is, as the
name implies, 386-only.

						Bruce C. Wright