[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Northgate Computer Systems 386 Machines

bunte@ibd.BRL.MIL (Steven Bunte ) (12/30/88)

Hello Netters!

I am considering the purchase of a 386/25MHz machine from
Northgate Computer System of Plymouth, MN.  The system is
as follows:

386/25 Intel processor
256K High speed read/write cache
4 MB RAM
1.2 MB Floppy
1.44 MB Floppy
DOS 4.01
Manuals
65 MB 28ms RLL Hard drive  with 1:1 interleave 16 bit controller
VGA Multisynch monitor
1 year warranty

Cost:$7724

Does anyone out there have any experience with Northgate products--
good or bad?? Thanks in advance for any responses!!!

Steve

bill@cosi.UUCP (Bill Michaelson) (01/01/89)

In article <231@ibd.BRL.MIL>, bunte@ibd.BRL.MIL (Steven Bunte ) writes:
> Hello Netters!
>
> I am considering the purchase of a 386/25MHz machine from
> Northgate Computer System of Plymouth, MN.  The system is
> as follows:

I bought one of their keyboards because it was raved about by an Infoworld
columnist (Gibson).  The keyboard ain't that great - you can get the tactile
and audible "click" feedback without having the key detected if you don't
press it all the way.  They reproduced the guy's review in subsequent
advertising, but personally, I think they paid the guy off.  It may be a good
computer though.  Just my two cents worth.
--
Bill Michaelson - uh... princeton!mccc!cosi!bill, I think.
also at... Voice 609-771-6705  CompuServe 72416,1026

andyl@palnet.UUCP ([Andy Lester]) (01/02/89)

I can't arg   tell whether the price is acn  ny good or not, but     as I'm loo

king around
the market myself right now, but I DO have expereince       ience with Northgat

e.

About a ear   year ago, we  my company wanted to t get an AT system for doing

       maybe doing
some new development, a so all this was very new.  We got the box
from BNor    Northgate, plugged it in, and everything e worked perfectly out of

 the
box, notwithstanding the addition of a Periscope debugging card.
Only thing is that the monitor died after about 2 days.   We spent
most of 2 days after that trying to get thru on their tech support
line, but when t we did git  et thru, we    the FedExd the replacement monitor

us, no q uest                                       ua s, no questons   ions, n

o returns necessary.  They stuck in a little note saying
"Please return the busted one to us.  We're being nice to
you bu y sending this to you w/o getting the old one back, so don't
screw us, please."  No problems since.

When I sai y that it ran right out of the box, I mean t        meant that the H

D is
formate ted with all the software installed on it.   , or at least
was for us.  They were also very nice about making substitutions for
drives for us.  It cocme   mes w          And, the drive is f that  e faster st

 that I've seen.  The

Andy    Andy
(Official Usenetish   -ish disclaimer:  I have no connection to Northgate,
other than being thisclose to getting one of my own)  :-)