[comp.sys.ibm.pc] anyone heard of "Amstrad" pc clone?

wagner@procase.UUCP (Mark Wagner) (12/06/88)

Hi.  A friend of mine who doesn't know much about computers
is thinking of purchasing a pc clone called an Amstrad.  Thinking
that I know something about this he has asked my opinion.  Rather
than explain why I don't know anything about PC's I thought I
would post this asking for any help on the subject.

So specificially: has anyone heard of a pc clone called "Amstrad"
and if so how does it compare to other clones in terms of price/
performance/ etc.?

Thanx, Mark.

--

Mark Wagner, ProCASE Corporation.  408-727-0714
...!tolerant!procase!wagner

phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (12/07/88)

I saw an Amstrad machine at a large department store in LA (May's?).
It had an 8086 and was around $999. For that price, I'd rather have an
AT clone.

--

Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com
{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil

ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu (12/07/88)

In article <23715@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@diablo.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:

>I saw an Amstrad machine at a large department store in LA (May's?).
>It had an 8086 and was around $999. For that price, I'd rather have an
>AT clone.

PC Computing has a review of the "shopping mall" PC's. It includes the
AMSTRAD 1512 (8086/8Mhz, 512K, 2 360K floppies). I quote:
"...obviously owes much of its design inspiration to the people that
gave us the $4 hair drier".  The thing is all plastic with its innards
wrapped in tin to shield RF signals.

porter@topaz.rutgers.edu (Adam L. Porter) (12/07/88)

It's a piece of junk:  all plastic, and difficult to take apart and
work on.  Tell your friend to save his money...I'd rather have a
no-name clone with more solid, "normal" construction than an Amstrad.
Adam L. Porter
272 Hamilton St. #96
New Brunswick, NJ  08901
(201) 247-6723

guest@bnr-public.uucp (Anyone) (12/07/88)

Another small fact, the power supply for an Amstrad is located in the monitor.
"Special" cards are required to use any other monitor with this unit.

I am not sure if this is a good feature or not, but the batteries for the real
time clock are AA cells and are located on top of the unit underneath the
monitor.  There is a recess in the top of the case for the monitor.

Oh yeah, one other thing. Only 3 expansion slots running parallel to the back
of the machine.

D. Scott Murphy
scott5@garfield.UUCP
scott5@garfield.mun.cdn

dross@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (david ross) (12/08/88)

In article <17917@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu writes:
>In article <23715@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@diablo.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
>> [ ... Amstrads are not a good value (paraphrasure) ...]
>
>  [ ... Amstrads are rubbish (paraphrasure) ... ]

I'm not an Amstrad owner, but my brother in laws is, and I almost bought one.
They're reasonably nice entry-level machines.  They outsell *every* other
PC clone (including IBM) in Europe.  True, they're a bit plastic, but that's
only a problem if you intend to drop the machine a lot!

The price is quite reasonable, especially considering the software included.
When I was pricing them out last summer, I found one place willing to give
me the configuration I wanted (monographic, 1 3.5" drive, 1 5.25" drive)
for $850.  I only decided against it because I want more slots than the
Amstrad makes available.

--
   _  _  _      David A. Ross   (Dept.Math.&Stat.,U.ofMN,Duluth)
  / \/ \/ \     BITNET: dross@umndul THISNET: dross@ub.d.umn.edu

dsd@hpsad.HP.COM (Donald StDenis) (12/10/88)

>/ hpsad:comp.sys.ibm.pc / nicky.nessen@raider.MFEE.TN.US /  7:10 am  Dec  3, 1988 /
>Does anybody know of a real cheap pc? I might be running a bbs and need a spare
>computer.
----------

The last swap meet I went to had a used clone xt with 20M for $375.  I
couldn't beleive it.  Brand new turbo xt clones, 256k, 1 floppy, - $350.
Thet're almost giving them away.

I've noticed used machines in the clasifieds for $400.  Are thes available
in your part of the country?

--
Donald St. Denis					         R&D Department
HP-UX Email address: dsd@hpsad	       Hewlett-Packard Signal Analysis Division

pv@korppi.tut.fi (Vuorimaa Petri Kalevi) (12/10/88)

From article <401500bd.14dc3@gogol>, by wagner@procase.UUCP (Mark Wagner):

> So specificially: has anyone heard of a pc clone called "Amstrad"
> and if so how does it compare to other clones in terms of price/
> performance/ etc.?

A friend of mine was considering buying a one.
He doesn't know that much of computers, so he asked
me to a have a look at the machine.

Basicly it's very cheap at least here in Finland (that's why
he was considering Amstrad PC). At first the machine
looked quite nice. Later on when I asked questions
from the seller I didn't like it that much any more.

The biggest problem was that Amstrad PC is compatible
with NOTHING! It has it's own mouse and so on ...
The man at shop even claimed that one cannot put
normal 3.5" disk drive inside the machine. You have to use
some special version (I didn't believe him for that :-)

Anyway, it's cheap as toys usually are!

leif@ambone.UUCP (Leif Andrew Rump) (12/12/88)

DON'T BYE IT! I'm working as a sysop for a Amstrad Computer shop in my
spare time and until now we have replaced the two computers in my home
twice because of harddisk problems (The power supply isn't strong
enough) and a colour monitor burnt itself out!

And the trick of death: Try holding down the SHIFT key and write COM
as quickly as you can and you will end up with COM7. Now slow down
and you will realise that a normal (software) writer will experience
problems EVERY time he writes COM (this isn't (thank god) written on a
Amstrad!).

   Leif Andrew Rump, Ambrasoft A/S, Roejelskaer 15, DK-2840 Holte (Denmark)
 UUCP: leif@ambone.dk, phone: +45 2424 111, touch phone: +45 422 817 + 313
 BBS1: ABC BBS:     +45 68 00 544,    3/12, 24h, 2:505/38 (ABC Sysop)
 BBS2: PC-Club BBS: +45 68 0270,   3/12/24, 24h, 2:505/54 (PC-Club Sysop)

Please note the node-change:                    Ambone, Italian for a pulpit
(The following interpretations emerged          Am_bone, Ambrasoft A/S bone
 when Ambone was put down on paper and          Amb_one, Ambrasoft A/S #one
 accepted - they are solely mine!!!!!)          ...

mrh@camcon.co.uk (Mark Hughes) (12/13/88)

wagner@procase.UUCP (Mark Wagner) writes:

>So specificially: has anyone heard of a pc clone called "Amstrad"
>and if so how does it compare to other clones in terms of price/
>performance/ etc.?

No long comparissons... just some simple feedback based on having used
both Amstrad PC1512 and PC1640 for a couple of years. These machines are
*very* compatible, as fast as you'd expect for the price, and extremely
good value. Like most clones, they started out with reliability problems
which were countered using cheap on site service agreements. I believe that
they have no particular problems now, but would recommend a service agreement
unless your purse is really stretched.

--
-------------------  <mrh@camcon.co.uk>  or  <...!mcvax!ukc!idec!camcon!mrh>
|   Mark Hughes   |  Telex:   265871 (MONREF G) quoting: MAG70076
|(Compware . CCL) |  BT Gold: 72:MAG70076
-------------------  Teleph:  Cambridge (UK) (0)223-358855

driesb@neabbs.UUCP (DRIES BESSELS) (12/14/88)

Hi Donald
as for the armstrad PC clone (or schneider, it is the same machine), I
would not really recommend them. A few of my friends in London own one
and lots of them are unhappy. specially the disk drives are real
floppy-eaters (literally).
If you want a nice clone it might be good to check the Vendex
headstart. I have been playing with it and it was really a good proce
for a good piece of machinery
Best Regards,
Dries Bessels
Amsterdam, Holland

charles1@garfield.MUN.EDU (Charles Loader) (12/14/88)

In article <5605@naakka.tut.fi> pv@korppi.tut.fi (Vuorimaa Petri Kalevi) writes:
>From article <401500bd.14dc3@gogol>, by wagner@procase.UUCP (Mark Wagner):
>>
>> So specificially: has anyone heard of a pc clone called "Amstrad"
>
>The biggest problem was that Amstrad PC is compatible
>with NOTHING! It has it's own mouse and so on ...
>The man at shop even claimed that one cannot put
>normal 3.5" disk drive inside the machine. You have to use
>some special version (I didn't believe him for that :-)
>
>Anyway, it's cheap as toys usually are!

The Amstrad 1640 is a compact XT clone. Fairly fast 8 MHz 8086.

We have used one in our general office no for about 3 years without a
problem. All software that should run does. The Herc. display is very
good and the mouse works fine when needed.

Currently the machine is running MSDOS troff/tbl/eqn etc. using the
EROFF package from Elan. Much of the output is mathematical text but
the machine seems manage just fine, running at about the same speed
as the mainframe under normal daytime load. (One nice thing about
the 1640 is the absence of a cooling fan ... runs almost silently
... what a pleasure!)

My brother has a PPC portable. The portable runs a little faster than the
desk version. Seems to run all the standard software.

                                      C. E. Loader
			              Chemistry Dept.

thsieh@bnrmtv.UUCP (Theodore Hsieh) (12/15/88)

I've purchased an Amstrad PC1512DD not very long ago.  It had a 512K RAM,
two 360K floppy drives, a mouse, CGA with color monitor, three expansion
slots, and some softwares including MS-DOS 3.1, GEM Desktop etc.  The
price for the whole thing was only $799.

The system is very light in weight because it's all plastic.  There is no
power supply in the machine either.  The power of the whole system comes
from the monitor.

The only problem with it is that there is not enough slots for expansion.
The other problem to it (due to some salespersons in a Computer Store) is
that the system is not 100% IBM compatible.  Actually, I've tried running
'Quattro' on it but failed.

So, if you are are looking for a PC for beginners, the Amstrad PCs are not
so bad; otherwise, try looking around in the market, you might find some-
thing more dependable for a resonable price.

--------
Theodore

warren@psu-cs.UUCP (Warren Harrison) (12/16/88)

I don't know much about their dsktop system, but I have their "laptop"
model and couldn't be happier with it (at the price ...).  I paid about
1,000 for it and it has a 7Mhz 8x88 with dual 3.5" floppies, 640K AND a
built in 2400Baud modem.  The screen is small (but no smaller I expect than
most laptops) AND IS NOT BACKLIT (boo!).  The good/bad point is that it has
a full size 101 key keyboard, so when I use it at home (which is most the
time that it is used), I can plug a mono (it also accepts CGA) 12" monitor
to it an dit is a very comfortable dual floppy PC machine.  It fits under
an airplane seat, but due to the non-backlit LCD, it is hard to see unless
you have light shining directly on it ... this is OK for hotel rooms, but
I wouldn't suggest trying a write  a movire review in real-time with it :-)

The thing I like most about it is that is is portable, so I can pick it up and
move it around the house, to friends houses, etc by just picking it up by
the handle and thegrabbing the monitor.  The box weighs about the same as
the Zenith laptop (approx.  I have just compared them by holding one in
one hand and the other an the other hand at the same time).

For someone who is going to get a dual floppy system, and doesn't do alot of
big compiles I WOULD recommend the Amstrad ... it runs any software I've
tried on it (but to be fair I haven't tried to crash it, so have just run
Quattro, Turbo Pascal, Turbo PROLOG< etc on it).  For serious programming I
usually use my 286 (but I keep the Amstrad by the TV ...).  For $1000 plus
another $75 you have a decent "luggable" with a full size keyboard (this
is what turned me off to Zenith, et al.  The keyboards are too small if you
want to use them in a desktop mode) - if you want color change the $75 to wh
whatever - plus a 2400 baud dial up capability.

One thing though, you'll probably pay mor ethan $1000 at Macy's or whereever.
I have seen the Amstrad laptop for as low as $700 or so in a recent issue of
computr shopper ... be careful they don't try and sell you the 512K version
or the single floppy version however ... our local Silo was doing that when
I bought mine.  Doing a CHKDSK on the display model quickly brought this
fact to my (and eventually the store manager's) attention.

Warren
Warren Harrison                 CSNET: warren@pdx.edu
Department of Computer Science  UUCP:  {ucbvax,decvax}!tektronix!psu-cs!warren
Portland State University       Internet: warren%pdx.edu@relay.cs.net
Portland, OR 97207-0751

jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) (12/16/88)

From article <2225@titan.camcon.co.uk>, by mrh@camcon.co.uk (Mark Hughes):
> wagner@procase.UUCP (Mark Wagner) writes:
>>So specificially: has anyone heard of a pc clone called "Amstrad"
>>and if so how does it compare to other clones in terms of price/
>>performance/ etc.?
>
> No long comparissons... just some simple feedback based on having used
> both Amstrad PC1512 and PC1640 for a couple of years. These machines are
> *very* compatible, as fast as you'd expect for the price, and extremely
> good value.

I had a PC1512 and found it too incompatable to use.  The floppy hardware
wasn't compatable enough to run COPYIIPC, the mouse was fine for stuff
which used the supplied mouse driver and didn't do anything clever.  The
mouse isn't compatable with anything else so you can't use a package
that wants to drive the mouse directly (windows, cadd, etc etc).  Even
if the package uses the supplied mouse driver, I often found the mouse
cursor disapearing or the machine locking up (e.g. MS Codeview).  The
keyboard software had a bug that caused binaries generated by MSC 4.0
to sometimes hang the system and the screen is a sort of Hercules
compatable.  It is a pretty good CGA emulator though (I had the monochrome
version).

Reliability is a real probelm, where I worked they bought a whole load
of the things and it was odd not to find one or two broken ones
lying around.  Specifically the printer port chips kept blowing and
the hard disks failed.  I believe Amstrad are buying in hard disks
now instead of making them themselves.  Overheating was also a problem
as the PC1512 didn't used to have any fans in them.

Overall I wasn't too impressed with the machine and it certainly
wasn't compatable enough for developing code on.  I'd make sure
that your applications work on it before buying one.

I now use a Beltron XT compatable (Continental Ltd) with a Genius
mouse and have only had trouble with the latest release of the MS
mouse driver as the Genius mouse wasn't compatable with the latest
MS mouse hardware.  I just use an older version without problem.  So far
I've had no other trouble with it at all and I would recommend considering
them as the machine has a much nicer feel and is a lot more
rugged.  Its also a snap together clone so the parts are well tried
and from well known manufacturers (TVM monitors, DTK motherboard, Seagate
disk, Western Digital controller).  Its a touch more money but I feel
it was worth it.
--
  ______    JANET :jonathan@uk.ac.keele.cs     Jonathan Knight,
    /       BITNET:jonathan%cs.kl.ac.uk@ukacrl Department of Computer Science

syrbz@warwick.ac.uk (J D Mulberg) (12/16/88)

I am surprised at the lack of impact that Amstrad has had in the US. In the UK
Amstrad are one of, if not the biggest supplier of PC's. A brief summary:
  The original model was the PC1512. This was the first cheap clone from a
name that everyone had heard of and was unlikely to go bust next month. It
used a 8086 with 512K, 5.25 DD and a hard disk option.
The monitor, keyboard and mouse were (possibly deliberately) uncompatable with
everthing else, and were rather tacky. The screen especially was awful.
  The newer model was the PC1640, with 640K, and a better screen, but the same
incompatability and bad mouse and keyborad. When you get one that works
it's an acceptale machine, but the disk drives may need tweaking if you don't
want the disks chewed.
  Just out is model 8086, which has finally got compatable everything, a
3.5 disk, and options on 5.25 and HD. At first glance it looks reasonable.
  The reason Brits buy Amstrads is that it's a known name, and made by someone
I can phone up, visit and complain to, and sue if the beast I bought goes
bang. When Dell, Leading Edge etc. incorporate themselves in the City of
London, and convince people they're here to stay, they will do some
substantial business.

Jon Mulberg,                                          Go placidly amidst the
Warwick University                                    noise and haste ...
--
UUCP:   ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!syrbz	PHONE:  +44 203 523523
JANET:  syrbz@uk.ac.warwick.daisy       ARPA:   syrbz@daisy.warwick.ac.uk

andrew@stl.stc.co.uk (Andrew Macpherson) (01/02/89)

I am surprised at all the tales of incompatibility.  To scotch one
immediatly, COPY22PC will work, as indeed does COPYRITE and EXPLORER.

Mouse problems with CodeView --- This is true of every non-microsoft mouse,
and the solution (top right of screen and click) is surely well known?

I regularly use an Amstrad for running Ventura publisher.  The 1512 is
a form of CGA, but with 4 color planes which can be switched on or off
for subsequent writes by setting a register.  The 1640 has a better
screen entirely, (EGA I think --- I havn't tried programming that)

There was a question with the original versions as to whether the PS was
adequate for the higher powered extension cards --- I have used LAN cards
with no problems.

There is a new version out --- The 2000 which is a cheap AT clone.  I would
suggest that may be worth looking at.

A satisfied user
--
Andrew Macpherson                          PSI%234237100122::andrew
andrew@stl.stc.co.uk        - or -         ...!mcvax!ukc!stl!andrew