[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need help on sound effects

boba@hpwala.wal.hp.com (Bob Alexander) (12/28/88)

I'm writing a lunar lander game patterned after the old arcade version
and the even older original written at MIT.  But I'm having trouble
making sound effects for the rocket thrust and (heaven forbid!) the
crash.  I understand how to make pure notes with the IBM's speaker,
but could someone please advise me on how to make noise?  Or is it
not possible?

Thanks,

- Bob Alexander
  hplabs!hpwala!boba
  No opinions were stated, so no disclaimer is necessary

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (12/29/88)

In article <766@hpwala.wal.hp.com> boba@hpwala.wal.hp.com (Bob Alexander) writes:
>I'm writing a lunar lander game patterned after the old arcade version
>and the even older original written at MIT.  But I'm having trouble
>making sound effects for the rocket thrust and (heaven forbid!) the
>crash.  I understand how to make pure notes with the IBM's speaker,
>but could someone please advise me on how to make noise?  Or is it
>not possible?

    How 'bout random bytes sent to the speaker port?  Sounds
like white noise to me!

	     Tim

--
 ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar
                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406
  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904
       USNail:  KKSF / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (01/04/89)

}
}    How 'bout random bytes sent to the speaker port?  Sounds
}like white noise to me!

You'd better mask off all but the low two bits, and preserve the high six
bits of the port's value, or you'll be doing quite a bit more than making
noises on the speaker.  Most clones use one of the bits in that port to
switch between 4.77 and turbo speeds.  And the other five bits are also in use.

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (01/05/89)

-
-You'd better mask off all but the low two bits, and preserve the high six
-bits of the port's value, or you'll be doing quite a bit more than making
-noises on the speaker.  Most clones use one of the bits in that port to
-switch between 4.77 and turbo speeds.  And the other five bits are also in use.
-
-	You cannot achieve the impossible without attempting the absurd.

Sounds like a prescription to me!  :-)