[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 1.44Mb 3.5" drive in XT clone?

wales@valeria.cs.ucla.edu (01/02/89)

I have a 2-year-old Taiwanese turbo (4.77/8.0 MHz) XT clone with a 30Mb
hard disk and two 360Kb, 5.25" floppy drives.

I am considering replacing one of the two floppy drives with a 1.44Mb,
3.5" diskette drive.  While I'm at it, I might also replace the other
floppy drive with a 1.2Mb, 5.25" floppy drive.

The floppy controller in my system right now, according to a technical
consultant at the Taiwanese company (Wugo)'s US office, will not handle
high-density drives.  Hence, I expect I'll have to get a new controller
card along with the new drive or drives.

Some local hardware dealers have cautioned me that the high-density
drives (1.44Mb/3.5" and 1.2Mb/5.25") frequently do not work well on XT
clones, due to the restrictions imposed by the 8-bit data path (as
opposed to the 16-bit data path on AT's and clones).  One dealer simply
dismissed the whole idea out of hand as unworkable.  Another said it
might work *if* I use good drives; he specifically recommended the Sony
1.44Mb/3.5" drive, and told me to avoid the Toshiba 1.44Mb drive, based
on his own experience.

Has anyone else on the net tried to add a high-density drive (3.5" or
5.25") to an XT or clone?  What happened?  Should I stick to -- or avoid
-- certain specific makes of drive and/or controller?

My current system, as best I can tell, handles the 360Kb floppies very
well.  I have heard people caution, for instance, against trying floppy
I/O at "turbo" speed; however, I routinely run my system at 8 MHz and do
floppy I/O with no problems at all.  When I ran the FASTBACK PLUS "DMA
test", it rated my system as passing "fast DMA" at 8 MHz.  Might this
mean I have a better-than-even chance of success with a high-density
drive in my system?  Or is 360Kb floppy performance at "turbo" speed not
really any kind of indicator of what will happen with a 1.44Mb drive?

-- Rich Wales // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 (213) 825-5683
   3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024-1596 // USA
   wales@CS.UCLA.EDU      ...!(uunet,ucbvax,rutgers)!cs.ucla.edu!wales
   "A monk, a clone, and a Ferengi decided to go bowling together . . ."

cww@ndmath.UUCP (Clarence W. Wilkerson) (01/03/89)

You need a new disk controller board, for example
the Western Digital Fox board. You'll need the one
with built-in BIOS rom to support the new drives. It
comes in either a 2 drive or 4 drive model. Depending on
the version of DOS being used, you may need a device driver.
I have not used the Toshiba 1.44. However, I have the 720K and 1.2k
versions, and they work fine. I have not used the wd card, but have seen it
advertised for about $60, and some generics for even less. The advice
about brands, etc sounds self-serving on the dealer's part to me.

hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison) (01/05/89)

In article <19248@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> wales@CS.UCLA.EDU (Rich Wales) writes:
>I have a 2-year-old Taiwanese turbo (4.77/8.0 MHz) XT clone with a 30Mb
>hard disk and two 360Kb, 5.25" floppy drives.
>
>I am considering replacing one of the two floppy drives with a 1.44Mb,
>3.5" diskette drive.  While I'm at it, I might also replace the other
>floppy drive with a 1.2Mb, 5.25" floppy drive.

I used a Western Digital controller to drive a 3.5 floppy and a 360Kb
standard floppy with no discernible problems.  The WD controller handles
all the combinations you can think of, so I would guess it would work
with a 1.2Mb floppy as well.

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (01/06/89)

I use a Micro Solutions Compaticard on my XT clone.  I run 8",
5.25" DSDD and HD, and 3.5" 1.44 megabyte diskettes on my com-
puter.  I have two floppy disk controllers and 5 floppy drives.
Micro Solutions supplies a device driver, so BIOS support of
the drives is unnecessary.

Most XT clones do not have proper BIOS support for the high
density drives, so be sure you get an updated bios, intelligent
controller, or device driver to load.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			University of Illinois