[comp.sys.ibm.pc] CD-ROM an uSoft Prog Ref

marco@hpmcaa.HP.COM (Marco Dalla-Gasperina) (12/30/88)

AAAAAHHHHHH!

I've got the Microsoft Programmers reference library on CD-ROM.  What I'd
like to do is put it on a server to the rest of my group can use it as a
reference.  Assuming I can do it technically,  how does one go about the
licensing arrangement?  It seems ridiculous to have to spend $1500 or so per
workstation so we can each have a seperate disk and CD drive.

Microsoft, however, does not offer site licensing for the PRL.  My contact
there mentioned something about OPTINET (sp?), though I have no idea what
that means.

Any assistance will be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks!

Marco "Licensing,Shmlicensing" Dalla Gasperina
marco@hpmcaa.HP.COM

leefi@microsoft.UUCP (Lee Fisher) (12/31/88)

In article <200012@hpmcaa.HP.COM>, marco@hpmcaa.HP.COM
(Marco Dalla-Gasperina) writes:

> I've got the Microsoft Programmers reference library on CD-ROM. What
> I'd like to do is put it on a server to the rest of my group can use
> it as a reference. Assuming I can do it technically, how does one
> go about the licensing arrangement? It seems ridiculous to have to
> spend $1500 or so per workstation so we can each have a seperate disk
> and CD drive. Microsoft, however, does not offer site licensing for
> PRL. My contact there mentioned something about OPTINET (sp?), though
> I have no idea what that means.

The MS-DOS CD-ROM Extentions currently do not allow the sharing of a
CD-ROM disc drive over a network. Thus, with the DOS, CD-ROM
Extentions, and Programmer's Library software, it is not possible to
share the Progammer's Library CD-ROM disc form data over a network.

Programmer's Library does not rely on the presense of it's data on a
CD-ROM drive. The application performs simply DOS file i/o with it's
data files. Since the data files are very large, they exist on a
CD-ROM disc. It is possible to transfer all of the data from the
CD-ROM drive that comes with Programmer's Library and move it to a
hard drive. All that would requre changing to get Programmer's
Library to work would be to update the drive references in the ASCII
file MSL.INI. So, in such a case, it's possible to use Programmer's
Library on systems that don't support CD-ROM drives, provided you
have sufficient storage abilities (~150MB), and a way to transfer the
CD-ROM disc data to this environment in the first place. [You should
read the licensing information before attempting this, since it may
violate some licensing restriction.]

Another alternative to this is to use the third party applications to
enhance the functionality of a CD-ROM drive over a network. There are
currently two such third party applications.

One such application is Opti-Net, made by On Line Systems. This
optical network software will allow a CD-ROM drive to be shared with
any NETBIOS compatible LAN software, including MS-NET and Novelle
networks. To get more information on Opti-Net, contact them at:

   Opti-Net, Online Computer Systems, +1 (800) 922-9204

[I think I recall seeing someone at OnLine Computer Systems in the
newsgroup comp.unix.xenix talking about XENIX CD-ROM drivers; the path
to their system was uunet!ocsmd, I believe. Perhaps you can reach
someone at OnLine Computer Systems through this means.]

The other currently available solution is CDNet, by meridian Data
Systems. This consists of CD-ROM hardware and additional software
which allows the CD-ROM drive to be shared over a network. To get
more information from Meridian Data Systems, contact them at:

   CD-Net, Meridian Data Systems, +1 (408) 476-5858

The terms of the Programmer's Library license agreement are included
with the packaged, require that a copy of the User Guide be dedicated
to each workstation on the network that is set up to run PL. Each
node pack includes the necessary User Guide, so you'd need to order 1
server copy of PL plus N workstation copies of PL to hook up N+1
workstations.

Try calling Microsoft Customer Service at +1 (206) 882-8088. They can
give you price information for retail products, and could give you
information about server/workstation copies. (I think that it is $395
for the server version, and $65 for each additional workstation
version, but I may be thinking of another product.) If you've got a
corporate account, have your purchasing agent call the Microsoft Corporate
Accounts Customer Service number at +1 (800) 227-6444. I'm not sure
what the prices are for corporate accounts, but I assume they differ.

I guess I should do some disclaiming... :-) I have not used CD-Net or
Opti-Net, and am just regurgitating this stuff from the Programmer's
Library box. And I am NOT conversant in licensing/legal issues with
Microsoft (or any other) software...

--
Lee Fisher - Microsoft Corp. - leefi@microsof.UUCP
leefi%microsof@uw-beaver.MIL - leefi@microsof.beaver.washington.EDU

jms@prism.TMC.COM (01/06/89)

	OPTI-NET is a product of Online Computer Systems, Germantown,
MD.  800-922-9204.  Support for three Programmers Library users cost
$295.  Other hw/sw options are available.

{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!jms
Mirror Systems	Cambridge, MA

--
Jim Shaw
Mirror Systems, Cambridge Massachusetts         jms@mirror.TMC.COM