[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hard Drives in Tandy 1000 Tx

cac@druco.ATT.COM (Curtis A. Conkey) (01/06/89)

I'm thinking of getting a hard drive to put
on my Tandy 1000 TX system. I've looked at the
Tandy drives and $600 for 20 meg seems a little (lot)
on the steep side since I've seen 30 Meg drives for ~$300
from the mail order houses. What I'd like to do is get
a mail order disk and install it.
Are there any Tandy owners that have gone this route?
Are there any pitfalls to watch out for?
Did Tandy do anything FUNNY to their box to lock users in
to their drives? (This is what I'm really worried about).

Thanks
Curtis Conkey
druco!cac

mlc@csucis.UUCP (Cipalla Mike) (01/07/89)

I work for Radio Shack and right now you can get a 20 meg hard card for
$399 its on sale. I have also heard of some problems with other hard cards
used in tandy computers but have trouble believing them because the TX is
very compatable with IBM, I just thought I would tell you. The sale price
will last until all the hard cards are gone since tandy is introducing a new
20 meg hard card in the summer, at least that is what my district manager
told me when I asked.

                                                    Mike

jmj@mhuxu.UUCP (J. M. Johnson) (01/07/89)

In article <3430@druco.ATT.COM>, cac@druco.ATT.COM (Curtis A. Conkey) writes:
> I'm thinking of getting a hard drive to put
> on my Tandy 1000 TX system. I've looked at the
> Tandy drives and $600 for 20 meg seems a little (lot)
> on the steep side since I've seen 30 Meg drives for ~$300
> from the mail order houses. What I'd like to do is get
> a mail order disk and install it.
> Are there any Tandy owners that have gone this route?
> Are there any pitfalls to watch out for?
> Did Tandy do anything FUNNY to their box to lock users in
> to their drives? (This is what I'm really worried about).

I just bought myself a 30 meg hardcard for my 1000sx.  I got it from
a mail order house in CA and have been very happy with it.  The card
consists of a Seagate ST138R disk and WD 1002-27X controller and was
accompanied by disk cache and backup software.  It comes with a 30 day
money back guarantee and 1 yr. warranty.  The price was $389 plus an
extra $20 for Tandy compatability.  I had the drive in my hot little
hands in about a week (regular UPS) but I could have had it the next
day if I wanted :-)

One of the "FUNNY" things that Tandy does is use a different interrupt
for the hard disk.  Also, there were only two power supply connections
in my box but my controller card gets its power from the bus to get around
this.  The only thing I am dissapointed about is that I had to remove
my clock/calendar chip to put the drive in.  The ROM that it plugs in
under is right under the drive and it stuck up too high with the c/c
chip.  Some sort of adapter would be nice.

I have no affiliation with Shamrock, just a happy customer.

     Shamrock
     733-AA Lackfield Rd.
     Westlake Village, CA 91316
     (805) 373-7847

Check out their add in the back of PC World magazine.
--
       Life's just a game, you fly a paper plane, there is no end. - TBA

J. M. Johnson, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Reading, PA            ...!att!mhuxu!jmj

andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM ([andrew rossmann]) (01/08/89)

  I have a Seagate ST-251 in my SX. I bought it from Hard Drives
International. Just be sure to mention you need a controller modified for the
Tandy 1000. (It consists of a different ROM, a trace cut, and a jumper
change.) The On-Track software did not work properly (the computer would
not boot off the HD) so I used the HD ROM software for low-level format,
and the FDISK, FORMAT, MLPART.COM, MLPART.SYS, and MLFORMAT programs that
came with DOS. They also sell many other disk drives that will work with
your Tandy. Their number is 1-800-234-DISK. They have ads in most major
computer magazines.

andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM