[comp.sys.ibm.pc] environment sizes

grossman@bbn.com (Martin Grossman) (01/06/89)

I need the following:

	1) correct syntax of shell= line in PCDOS 3.1 (config.sys)
	2) correct syntax of shell= line in PCDOS 3.3 (config.sys)
	3) correct byte(s) to modify environment size in PCDOS 3.1's
	   command.com
	4) save as #3 above except command.com in PCDOS 3.3

andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM ([andrew rossmann]) (01/08/89)

  Use SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /E:xxxx /P
 where xxxx is the size of the environment you want in PARAGRAPHS (1
paragraph = 16 bytes.)
  In DOS 3.2 and newer, xxxx is the size of the environment you want in
bytes. It will be rounded up to the nearest 16 byte boundary. It can be up
to 32768 bytes, and as small as 128 (the default.) The /P tells COMMAND.COM
that it is 'Permanent' and you can't EXIT out from it.
  If you have COMMAND.COM in another subdirectory, use this (if it is in a
directory called DOS:)
SHELL=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM C:\DOS /E:512 /P

  The full syntax for COMMAND is:
COMMAND [pathname] [device:] [/E:size] [/P] [/D] [/F] [/C string]
where:
  pathname tells which subdirectory command is actually in (this is used to
set the COMSPEC environment variable.)
  device: lets you specify a different device (such as AUX) for I/O.
  /E:size is the size of the environment in paragraphs (DOS 3.1) or bytes
(DOS 3.2 or newer) The range is 128 bytes (8 paragraphs) to 32768 bytes
(2048 paragraphs).
 /P tells COMMAND not to exit to a higher level and to execute
AUTOEXEC.BAT
 /D tells COMMAND not to execute AUTOEXEC.BAT if /P is also specified
(undocumented)
 /F tells COMMAND to ignore the 'Abort, Retry...] message (undocumented)
 /C string is a command for COMMAND to run. It must be the last command.

This is all from my Tandy MS-DOS 3.2 manual.

andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM

evan@blake.acs.washington.edu (Not Evan) (01/08/89)

In article <34216@bbn.COM> grossman@bbn.com (Martin Grossman) writes:

>I need the following:
>
>	1) correct syntax of shell= line in PCDOS 3.1 (config.sys)

    The syntax is
	shell = [d:][path\]shellname.ext [/P]
    where the /P switch tells IBMDOS (?) to make the shell ram-resident.
    If you are using COMMAND.COM and omit the /P switch, a portion of
    COMMAND.COM is split off and loaded into the highest part of RAM, but
    without any protection from user programs, so that a program that uses
    all of RAM will wipe this portion out, causing DOS to re-load it from
    disk after the program exits.  For this reason, it's called the
    transient portion of COMMAND.COM.  It amounts to at most a moment's
    delay on a hard-disk system, but can be annoying if you have only
    a floppy drive.

>	2) correct syntax of shell= line in PCDOS 3.3 (config.sys)

    The syntax here is
        shell = [d:][path\]shellname.exe [/P] [/E:xxx]
    where /P is as for 3.1 and /E allows you to specify the size of the
    environment space (!!), in bytes.  xxx can range from 768 (which I think
    is the minimum, and default) to a whopping 32,267.  On my own system,
    I have config.sys set
	shell = c:\usr\dos\command.com /P /E:1024

>	3) correct byte(s) to modify environment size in PCDOS 3.1's
>	   command.com

    Don't know.

>	4) save as #3 above except command.com in PCDOS 3.3

    Moot, since this can be set on the fly in config.sys.

Hope this helps.

--erw;

GENERAL STATEMENT TO ALL PERSONS POSTING QUERIES FOR HELP:
If you are asking for assistance with a copyrighted, commercial software
package, and are specifically asking for things that are explained clearly
in the documentation that is included with that package, PLEASE clarify
precisely why you are posting the request, instead of going through more
official channels.  (For instance: company I work for runs IBM DOS 4.01,
documentation got stolen, two weeks til replacements arrive, problem can't
wait.)  I am willing to render whatever assistance I can, but I don't
condone software piracy, and I will not knowingly assist a person use any
pirated software, any more than I'd help them to pirate it in the first
place.  In the absence of information, I am inclined to give you the
benefit of the doubt and answer anyways, but certain corporations may feel
differently, and I really don't want to get nailed on the behalf of an
anonymous net-user.  Thank you.

dono@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Don OConnell) (01/08/89)

SHELL = [d:] [path] command.com /P /E:xxx

The /P parameter tells command.com to stay PERMANENT and run autoexec.bat
	ie. it will not exit with an EXIT command

The /E:xxx in dos3.2 and up is number of bytes in environment (160-32768)
	      dos3.1 it is the number of 16 byte paragraphs.

Don O'Connell			killer!dono