[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Relocating DOS &/OR NovellNet Drivers above 640K

john@stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond) (01/07/89)

In article <1581@virginia.acc.virginia.edu> jap7g@Virginia.EDU (Jim A. Pisano) writes:
>Here's my question:
>
>Is it possible to relocate either DOS or the NovellNet drivers to the 384K
>available as EMS, i.e., that memory which resides between 640K & 1 Meg?
>The few people that I've talked to say that it can't be done, but the
>boss keeps asking me to find a solution.
>
>Is there any commercial 'DOS relocating' software available?
>
>How's about some guru-like info on NovellNetware?  I'm quite a novice about
>Novell & NETBIOS and any infomation that would shed some light onto this
>situation would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks very much.
>| Jim Pisano                             jap7g@virginia.EDU                   |

RYBS Electronics makes 2 products you might be interested in.  These are a
card for XT class machines called the HyCard and some software for '286 and
'386 class machines.  In either case, free address space in high memory is
used to map some ram into DOS.  They claim to be able to generate a dos of
over 900k.  These products, judging from the instruction books, are designed
especially for your problem in relocating a network driver.  We use both
products around here for exactly what you want.

There is only one BIG kicker.  The {2,3}86 product is copy protected with
a hardware block that pretty much screws up a parallel port.  I personally
will not use and cannot recommend a product that uses copy protection of
any kind.  However, I can say that in the development groups around here
that do use the product, it works OK.  Perhaps the solution would be to
get the product, crack the block, and post the code?  That  and perhaps
some public pressure on RYBS would eliminate  this stupid copy protection
and make this a first class product.  In case you are interested, the
address and phone number for RYBS is:

RYBS Electronics, Inc.
2590 Central Ave.
Boulder, CO  80301

303 444 6073 sales
303 444 7927 tech support

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | "I can't drive 85!"
Sales Technologies, Inc.    Atlanta, GA    | Sammy Hagar driving
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | "I can't drive 85!"
Sales Technologies, Inc.    Atlanta, GA    | Sammy Hagar driving
...!gatech!stiatl!john                     | thru Atlanta!

larry@tapa.UUCP (Larry Pajakowski) (01/08/89)

"All Charge Card" distributed by QuarterDeck among others purports to do
this for 286 machines.  I'll be trying it next week for some non Novell LAN
software.

Larry