[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Disassembler for the 808x CPU's

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (12/14/88)

Could anyone recommend a disassembler for the 808x CPU's?
(One with sources available would be very nice.)

Thanks in advance.

--
Samuel Lam     {alberta,watmath,uw-beaver,cs.ubc.ca}!ubc-cs!van-bc!skl

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (12/16/88)

In article <2031@van-bc.UUCP>, skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) writes:
> Could anyone recommend a disassembler for the 808x CPU's?
> (One with sources available would be very nice.)

I don't know about price and you certainly won't get source, but...

The January 17, 1989 issue of PC Magazine (p. 101) gives "Sourcer" from
V Communications a finalist rating in its Awards for Technical Excellence
under Development Tools.  They say "'Sourcer' is the best dissassembler
we've ever seen."

--
A. Lester Buck		...!uhnix1!moray!siswat!buck

everett@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Everett Kaser) (12/20/88)

True, a friend of mine has "Sourcer", and it is INDEED the best disassembler
I've seen.  It's pretty amazing.  All software should be this good.

Everett Kaser
!hplabs!hp-pcd!everett
everett%hpcvlx@hplabs.hp.com

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (12/20/88)

There are a number of disassemblers on *IX BBS, 518-346-8033. They are
on the UNaXcess board (login as bbs, select UNaXcess from the bbs menu).
I think they're in the 'tools' section. Login and register, validation
usually takes 24 hours.

This system has boards running UNaXcess, XBBS and Citadel, use the one
you like or all of them. Note that you must register for the one you
want to use, since they are separate boards on the same system.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

everett@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Everett Kaser) (12/22/88)

From the manual of my friend's copy of "Sourcer":

        V Communications
        3031 Tisch Way, Suite 200
        San Jose, CA 95128
        (408) 296-4224

He thinks the price was around $125, with the BIOS pre-processor (which is
highly recommended.  It disassembles the BIOS on your machine, generating
not only a BIOS listing, but also another file that it uses during the
disassembly of other programs to know what various interrupt vectors are
pointing to and such.)  Some of the stuff it figures out is downright eerie.
It will generate both source listings that are VERY close to MASM-ready, as
well as listings that include addresses and object code.  Hot stuff.

I know I've seen ads for it in BYTE and/or PC MAGAZINE.

henkp@nikhefk.UUCP (Henk Peek) (12/24/88)

In article <12833@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>There are a number of disassemblers on *IX BBS, 518-346-8033. They are
>on the UNaXcess board (login as bbs, select UNaXcess from the bbs menu).
>I think they're in the 'tools' section. Login and register, validation
>usually takes 24 hours.
>This system has boards running UNaXcess, XBBS and Citadel, use the one

Can some local post a list of those programs and how useful they are?
Then we can post the best to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.
I known only asmgen. It does only small model 8086 and the control
file must be terminated with controlZ (not documentated). :-(

Henk Peek  ..uunet!mcvax!nikhefk!henkp.UUCP

cww@ndmath.UUCP (Clarence W. Wilkerson) (12/25/88)

Seems to be pretty convenient. I've dissassembed some 1k programs
with it, but nothing huge. It allows lots of comments, and options.

zifrony@TAURUS.BITNET (01/09/89)

I have retrieved two disassemblers from the PD reservoir:

1. A BASIC program named DISASM.BAS

2. A program named ASMGEN (executable only, no source), which has more
   features than DISASM.

These two programs have been run under DOS 3.30.

Doron Zifrony           E-Mail: zifrony@taurus.bitnet or zifrony@Math.Tau.Ac.IL
Msc. Student
Tel Aviv University
Israel