[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Zortech distribution methods

maybee@pogo.GPID.TEK.COM (Joe Maybee) (01/10/89)

In article <4471@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM> toma@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:

>Perhaps I don't know how much effort is involved in writing a C++ compiler,
>but I can recognize schlocky distribution practices and poor documentation.
>Just because a compiler is complex doesn't excuse:
>
>1) Distributing more than one version at a time (I received my version 1.05
>   in Nlate October).
>2) Distributing a compiler so buggy that it crashes even on small modules,
>   billing it as other than a "beta" version.  There is no way I could
>   recommend this thing for other than toy use.
>3) Inability to get one of the distribution files -- zero length on the
>   distribution media, and junk sent in the mail after two phone calls.
>4) No notification of a fixed version (1.07, what makes this "baseline"?),
>   even after I called them (at my expense) giving them a detailed bug
>   report in November.

'fraid Mr. Almy has some points.  I had a go 'round with Zortech here a while
back that included:

   1.  Rec'v'ng a compiler that didn't work.

   2.  No response to my initial phone call (for about a month+)

Once I got through to the powers that care, they fell all over themselves
getting me the current version. (I FAXed them a vulgar message
outlining my problems in explicit terms.)

>Is $100 for a compiler that doesn't work a good buy?  Even if written by
>a talented person?

No, which was my point in my original message.  Zortech has a may have a good
product, and they may have enthusiastic people, but their distribution
methods....well....

--
Joe Maybee                                  | "In a way
...tektronix!pogo!maybee   (503)-685-3572   |  It was fun

grabhorn@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Steven W. Grabhorn) (01/10/89)

Excuse me,
But what is the difference between "c" and "c++"???
Why would it be more difficult to write a compiler for C++?

Sorry if someone asked this question before and I missed it.

Steve Grabhorn
Naval Ocean Systems Center
San Diego, CA
grabhorn@nosc.mil