[comp.sys.ibm.pc] lq-500 blues

zgel05@flyer.uucp (01/09/89)

Tulsa, Oklahoma

A while back I asked for help regarding the use of an LQ series printer in
the place of an FX (my software has an FX driver, but no LQ).  I received
one response which shed significant light on the problem, and am posting it
here for all to see.  The symptoms of my problem were the graphics came out
on the printer ok, but were approximately 1/8 longer than they should have
been.  The problem is being abandoned at this point as I'm simply spending
money on new hardware rather than take the time to write any software to
try to fix the problem...

Clayton Cramer (uunet!takbspa!optilink!cramer) writes:
>From your description, it sounds like the problem you are havin is caused by
>the difference between the line spacing characteristics of the FX and LQ
>printers -- not the number of pins per lines of graphics data.  (My TSR
>wouldn't help).  The FX printers allow vertical resolution as fine as 1/180th
>of an inch -- the LQ printers allow 1/216th of an inch.  The difference isn't
>exactly 9/8 (1.2 vs. 1.125), but it's probably as close as you can accurately
>measure.

mvolo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (01/11/89)

[stuff about LQ500 graphics looking elongated when printed by soft-
ware with an Epson FX driver]

The Epson Printer Accessories division has a package which will let
24-pin printers accurately print graphics from programs that have only
FX drivers.  Either call Epson or I can dig up their address later
when I get home.  Please E-mail me if you need the address.

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705   mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP