[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Zenith 2400 Baud modem

dhc@cs.purdue.EDU (Daniel H Carpenter) (01/10/89)

[I tried to post this to comp.sys.zenith, but I don't have access to
that group from my site]

My zenith 2400 baud modem doesn't recognize a carrier signal from the
remote modem unless the line rings at least once before the modem on
the remote side answers.  That sounds a little confusing; let me
re-state it.

When my modem dials a number, and the called modem answers before I
hear a ring on the line, my modem will not recognize the carrier from
the called modem.  If the called modem tries long enough (about 30
seconds), my modem will respond okay.

Is this a problem, or is it that way for a reason?  I've checked all
the switches and parameter settings that seem appropriate, to no avail.
Anyone else with a zenith modem have this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
dhc@cs.purdue.edu

kwalker@arizona.edu (Kenneth Walker) (01/11/89)

In article <5803@medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, dhc@cs.purdue.EDU (Daniel H Carpenter) writes:
> My zenith 2400 baud modem doesn't recognize a carrier signal from the
> remote modem unless the line rings at least once before the modem on
> the remote side answers.

I had problems with my Zenith 2400 baud modem and someone found the
answer for me. I don't have the expanation with me, but if I remember
correctly:

The problem is that the Zenith modem is not able to listen for a busy
signal and carrier at the same time, so it listens for the busy signal
until it detects ring and then switches to listening for carrier. It is
possible to disable the busy signal detection. It has to do with the
return codes you or your software requests from the modem. If you don't
want a return code for a busy signal the modem will start off listening for
carrier. Then if you do get a busy signal, the modem will eventually time
out.

You will have to check the manuals for the modem and your software to
figure out exactly what to do. (If you have problems, email me and I
will look the modem command up when I am at home.)

   Ken Walker / Computer Science Dept / Univ of Arizona / Tucson, AZ 85721
   +1 602 621 2858  kwalker@Arizona.EDU   {uunet|allegra|noao}!arizona!kwalker