[comp.sys.ibm.pc] On Asking for help

dmt@mtunb.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (01/11/89)

In article <506@blake.acs.washington.edu> evan@blake.acs.washington.edu (Not Evan) writes:

>GENERAL STATEMENT TO ALL PERSONS POSTING QUERIES FOR HELP:
>If you are asking for assistance with a copyrighted, commercial software
>package, and are specifically asking for things that are explained clearly
>in the documentation that is included with that package, PLEASE clarify
>precisely why you are posting the request, instead of going through more
>official channels.  (For instance: company I work for runs IBM DOS 4.01,
>documentation got stolen, two weeks til replacements arrive, problem can't
>wait.)  I am willing to render whatever assistance I can, but I don't
>condone software piracy, and I will not knowingly assist a person use any
>pirated software, any more than I'd help them to pirate it in the first
>place.  In the absence of information, I am inclined to give you the
>benefit of the doubt and answer anyways, but certain corporations may feel
>differently, and I really don't want to get nailed on the behalf of an
>anonymous net-user.  Thank you.

In general, I agree with Not-Evan's statement.  But in this case, I
got a little out of joint.  (I've been an interested bystander till now;
he wasn't aiming his comment at me.)

Let's recall that the query was how to change the environment size
used by DOS.  Not-Evan's answer was (quite correctly) to use the
/E argument in the SHELL= line of CONFIG.SYS.

His little lecture above implied, "If you owned the documentation and
bothered to look in it, you'd have known this."  WRONG !!!!
I own the user's guide and the system programmer's guide for my DOS, and
there's nothing useful in either one about SHELL=.  Nor is there in
either Norton or Duncan, the two most common serious references for
DOS programmers.  (It may be in the $150 MSDOS Encyclopedia; I don't
usually have one handy.)  In fact, THE ONLY place I've ever seen this
information is [roughly semi-annually] in this newsgroup.

So, to Not-Evan:
   -	Thanks for taking on yourself the responsibility to post the
	early-1989 version of the SHELL= tutorial.
   -	I agree in principle with your lecture on "RTFM, or tell the
	net why you can't."
   -	This was a really inappropriate discussion to attach the
	lecture to.

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Lincroft, NJ			|
|    Logical -  ...att!mtunb!dmt				|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2442					|