[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Group 4 fax

emv@a.cc.umich.edu (Ed Vielmetti) (01/13/89)

In article <966@riddle.UUCP> domo@riddle.UUCP (Dominic Dunlop) writes:
>[My understanding is that group 4 goes at 64 kbit/sec, and requires a
>digital circuit (such as an ISDN connection).  Right or wrong, anybody?
>(Group 3 goes at 9600 bits/sec over a voice connection.)]

I have the Group 4 Fax recommendation (T.5) in front of me.  It states:

"1.1	Group 4 facsimile apparatus is used mainly on public data networks
(PDN) including circuit-switched, packet-switched, and the integrated
services digital network (ISDN).  The apparatus may be also used on the
public switched telephone network (PSTN) where an appropriate modulation
process will be utilized."

--Ed