[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Watchdog

broehl@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) (01/11/89)

Hi.

We have an undergraduate lab full of AT's, and have had numerous problems with
students over-writing each others' work, accidentally reformatting the hard
disks, etc etc.

We recently heard about a product called "Watchdog" which sounds (according
to their product literature) like a perfect solution to the problem.

Personally, I have my doubts.  Watchdog is a software product, so it seems to
me a student could simply boot from a floppy and access the hard disk freely.

The advertising fluff claims Watchdog prevents this.  Their sales people
claim it works, but (understandably, I suppose) won't give us any details.

Is anyone out there using Watchdog?  Does it live up to its claims?  If not,
have you heard of anything else that will do this?

--
	Bernie Roehl, University of Waterloo Electrical Engineering Dept
	Mail: broehl@watdcsu.UWaterloo{.edu,.csnet,.cdn}

furlani@broadway.UUCP (John L. Furlani) (01/13/89)

In article <5403@watdcsu.waterloo.edu>, broehl@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) writes:

> Personally, I have my doubts.  Watchdog is a software product, so it seems to
> me a student could simply boot from a floppy and access the hard disk freely.

I installed an used Watchdog for a while and as far as security goes, it
lives up to its claims.

There may be the problem of too much security for your needs though.  Maybe not
with students.  You can configure Watchdog so that your computer can be booted
from only the hard disk drive (a combination of hardware switches and software).
If needed, all your files can be encrypted (it takes a while) so that nobody
could read them even if they got on.  Directories and files are completely
sealed from users that don't have privleges.  The other bonus is that you can
keep a complete record of who has been on, where they went, and what they used
and tried to use.

For an experienced user, it is nearly impossible to deal with because, the
program is in *complete* control.  Every directory change is done from
the program, every program is executed from the program as well.  For
a classroom full of computers run by students, though, it may be ideal.

"What goes up must come down.  Ask any system administrator."
John L. Furlani
The University of South Carolina, Columbia SC
(...!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!broadway!furlani)