[comp.sys.ibm.pc] small computer book club

brmorrow@uokmax.UUCP (Brett Morrow) (01/09/89)

I just received  an offer from the "Small Computer Book Club" for
four msdos books for $4.95+shipping.  I have to buy 3 more in the
next two years.  I was wandering if anyone else has done this. Is
this a good firm.  Are the prices on the other books outrageous
or what.

I have not done a book club this way.  I have records and know
about how they operate.  Send you a card and if you do not
send it in they send you the record. So I know this trick and
do not mind.  Just wanting to know what they do.

                     Brett Morrow

no .sig
(not now)

kgordon@pilot.njin.net (Ken Gordon) (01/09/89)

	I belong to the Small Computer Book Club.  They are reasonable folks
to do business with.  As you mentioned, it works like a record club.
If you don't send the card back, they send you the book.  They do give
you ample time to respond.  After you have purchased 3 or 4 books, you
get enough bonus points to by other books at substantially reduced
prices, plus shipping and handling.  It seems that the shipping and
handling are the features that bring you up to the cost of buying at a
bookstore.
	The only down side is that I always seem to end up with more
interesting books than I have time to read.  However, if you don't
have a wife and 3 small kids this might not be a problem :-)
	In any event, The Small Computer Book Club (Owned by Prentice-Hall)
won't burn you.
-----Ken Gordon (kgordon@pilot.njin.net)

Standard Disclaimer:  I have no connection with the Small Computer
Book Club or Prentice-Hall Publishers.

mrnelson@trwrb.UUCP (Mark r. Nelson) (01/10/89)

In article <2200@uokmax.UUCP>, brmorrow@uokmax.UUCP (Brett Morrow) writes:
> I just received  an offer from the "Small Computer Book Club" for
> four msdos books for $4.95+shipping.  I have to buy 3 more in the
> next two years.  I was wandering if anyone else has done this. Is
> this a good firm.  Are the prices on the other books outrageous
> or what.
>
> I have not done a book club this way.  I have records and know
> about how they operate.  Send you a card and if you do not
> send it in they send you the record. So I know this trick and
> do not mind.  Just wanting to know what they do.

     I am a member, and have been for the past year, a good company
no complaints, except that if you order a book from their semi-monthly
selections they take a long time (about six weeks) to send it to you.
also they list other books (non computer books) in the semi-monthly
mailing that they send you.

     I hope this helps
               mark richard nelson

cpt.k9@netmbx.UUCP (Bob George) (01/10/89)

In article <2200@uokmax.UUCP> brmorrow@uokmax.UUCP (Brett Morrow) writes:
>I just received  an offer from the "Small Computer Book Club" for
>four msdos books for $4.95+shipping.  I have to buy 3 more in the
>next two years.  I was wandering if anyone else has done this. Is
>this a good firm.  Are the prices on the other books outrageous
>or what.

I've had very good experiences with parent company, Macmillan I believe.
I am a member of the "Library of Computer and Information Sciences" book
club. They have always been reasonable, and even allow me to order from
other clubs (ie. Small Computer Book Club) against my account.

If you order books in any quantity, it is a very good deal. The normal
prices are reasonable, and for every 4 points, you get a book for about
half price. I used this to get the MS-DOS encyclopedia, normally about
$119, for about $65. Also, there are some great sales from time to time.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that they do *not* automatically send
me the "book of the month" although their literature states that they
do. This might be because of my overseas location however. You'd be best
off asking first.

I *did* have a problem with them not considering an APO address part of
the United States. However, this was resolved with a short note or two.

	I hope this is useful,

	Bob

--
Bob George, Unter den Eichen 97, 1000 Berlin 45, W. Germany
cpt.k9@netmbx.UUCP                  Tel: (049-030) 832-8319

py@geac.UUCP (Peter Yeung) (01/11/89)

In article <2200@uokmax.UUCP> brmorrow@uokmax.UUCP (Brett Morrow) writes:
>I just received  an offer from the "Small Computer Book Club" for
>four msdos books for $4.95+shipping.  I have to buy 3 more in the
>next two years.  I was wandering if anyone else has done this. Is
>this a good firm.  Are the prices on the other books outrageous
>or what.
> [... text deleted ...]
>                     Brett Morrow

I am a member of the book club. The prices are fairly competitive with
those in bookstores here (Toronto) even including postage and handling
and exchange. I have had no trouble with them so far and as a metter of
fact I bought enough books to get me a ceritificate for further discount
for my next purchase.

It takes a few weeks for them to deliver the books (as expected). Their
deadline for response is really generous (something like a month and a half).

All in all, I am quite satisfy with them.

Peter Yeung.

zgel05@apctrc.UUCP (George E. Lehmann) (01/11/89)

In article <2200@uokmax.UUCP> brmorrow@uokmax.UUCP (Brett Morrow) writes:
>I just received  an offer from the "Small Computer Book Club" for
>four msdos books for $4.95+shipping.  I have to buy 3 more in the
>next two years.  I was wandering if anyone else has done this. Is
>this a good firm.  Are the prices on the other books outrageous
>or what.

They use the record club 'send the card and wait for the rejection' format,
and do offer reasonable prices.  I've been a member for about 18 months and
probably have a dozen books from them.  Every 3 or 4 books you buy, you
also get a 'bonus' selection, which means you can buy one of their books at
about half of the regular book club price.

                                         To live and not fly is not living...
George Lehmann   PP/ASEL/IA                           ...!uunet!apctrc!zgel05
Amoco Production Co.     PO BOX 3385, Tulsa, Ok  74102     Voice:918-660-4066

manis@grads.cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) (01/11/89)

I've never joined the Small Computer Book Club because I'm nearsighted
and have stubby fingers. As a result, I'd neither be able to see the
pages nor turn them.

:-) :-) :-)

____________  Vincent Manis                    | manis@cs.ubc.ca
___ \  _____  The Invisible City of Kitezh     | manis@cs.ubc.cdn
____ \  ____  Department of Computer Science   | manis%cs.ubc@relay.cs.net
___  /\  ___  University of British Columbia   | uunet!ubc-cs!manis
__  /  \  __  Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1W5    | (604) 228-2394
_  / __ \  _ "Had George III been a Scheme programmer, he might have responded
____________  to Patrick Henry by freeing him and then killing him."
              -- Michael Eisenberg

walt@sixwbn.UUCP (Walt Novinger) (01/11/89)

in article <2200@uokmax.UUCP>, brmorrow@uokmax.UUCP (Brett Morrow) says:

> I just received  an offer from the "Small Computer Book Club" for
> four msdos books for $4.95+shipping.  I have to buy 3 more in the
> next two years.  I was wandering if anyone else has done this. Is
> this a good firm.  Are the prices on the other books outrageous
> or what.
>
>                      Brett Morrow

I, too, just got this offeer, and ran (not walked) to the mailbox to
sign up.  These are *top quality* books that I have wanted for a long
time but couldn't justify paying the publisher's prices for them.  For
you others who receive the mailing, open it and see if you agree with
me.  I'm a member of three book clubs and two CD clubs, and have never
had a bad experience.
Walt Novinger          | ...!sun!plx!walt             |
Plexus Computers, Inc. | ...!sun!plx!sixwbn!walt      | Joke 'em if they can't
3833 N. First St.      |------------------------------|      take a f**k!
San Jose, CA 95134     | Disclaimer: You mean my      |
408-943-2406 (w)       |   boss might read this?      |     Robin Williams
415-964-9377 (h)       | Nah - he forgot his password!|

brmorrow@uokmax.UUCP (Brett Morrow) (01/12/89)

To: jborza%burgundy@Sun.COM
Subject: Re: OK, what's their address?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Bcc:

I would like to thank everyone for the information on the Small Computer
Book Club.  I have decided to go ahead and join the club.  I have included
the address below for those interested.  There is not much of one, but it
it is the one they put on their business reply card.

   Small Computer Book Club
   Riverside, NJ 08075-9889

                                   Brett Morrow
Brmorrow@aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu (Internet)
Brmorrow@uokmax.UUCP             (UUCP)

simon@ms.uky.edu (Simon Gales) (01/13/89)

In article <Jan.9.09.27.25.1989.8913@pilot.njin.net> kgordon@pilot.njin.net (Ken Gordon) writes:

>	I belong to the Small Computer Book Club.  They are reasonable folks
>to do business with.  As you mentioned, it works like a record club.
>If you don't send the card back, they send you the book.  They do give
>you ample time to respond.  After you have purchased 3 or 4 books, you
>get enough bonus points to by other books at substantially reduced
>prices, plus shipping and handling.  It seems that the shipping and
>handling are the features that bring you up to the cost of buying at a
>bookstore.
>	The only down side is that I always seem to end up with more
>interesting books than I have time to read.  However, if you don't
>have a wife and 3 small kids this might not be a problem :-)
>	In any event, The Small Computer Book Club (Owned by Prentice-Hall)
>won't burn you.
>-----Ken Gordon (kgordon@pilot.njin.net)

I am also a member, but my experience differs on many points:

	(1) I usually send in the card 2-3 days after getting it, but
		 somehow I seem to get a book every time, whether I asked for
		 it or not.

	(2) When I do order a book, it takes forever to get it.  I mailed
		 one last year (Nov) and haven't received it yet, but I have
		 gotten 2 mailers and one book I'm returning.

	(3) Several books have appeared on my bill, some of which were
		 never sent to me.  They don't have their phone number on the
		 bill either.  Once, I stopped sending them checks, and they
		 threatened to stop sending books, but I was out of luck, the
		 books are still arriving.

They do offer good deals on some very good books, and the start-up
deal is pretty nice too.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the Small Computer Book Club or
				Prentice-Hall Publishers, other than as a quasi-satisfied
				member.

  Simon Gales@University of Ky         UUCP:   {rutgers, uunet}!ukma!simon
  (- Insert Virus Code Here -)         Arpa:   simon@ms.uky.edu
  MaBell: (606) 263-2285/257-3597      BitNet: simon@UKMA.BITNET