[comp.sys.ibm.pc] term pgm on DG1

kai@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (01/10/89)

Has anyone gotten Procomm V2.4.2 (or any terminal emulation program, for that
matter) working on an Data General One laptop MS/DOS PC?

The terminal program in ROM works, so I know the serial port isn't broken,
but it doesn't have any capabilities for file transfers, so it useless.

Procomm V2.4.2 runs, but seems to send complete garbage out the port, as
though it is unable to configure the port correctly.

	Patrick Wolfe  (pat@kai.com, {uunet,uiucuxc}!kailand!pat)

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (01/12/89)

In article <42900030@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> kai@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:
:
:Has anyone gotten Procomm V2.4.2 (or any terminal emulation program, for that
:matter) working on an Data General One laptop MS/DOS PC?
:
:The terminal program in ROM works, so I know the serial port isn't broken,
:but it doesn't have any capabilities for file transfers, so it useless.

The DG/One has a different type of serial port that requires special
comms software.  Professional-YAM includes a DG/One flavor in addition to
DOS, Xenix, Unix, and (soon) OS/2 flavors.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746   CIS: 70007,2304    Genie: CAF

dts@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Daniel Senie) (01/12/89)

DG for some reason decided not to use an 8250 or NS16450 compatible UART
in the DG1. Since most comm programs bypass the BIOS, they have trouble
talking to the UART.

I believe there is a version of MS-Kermit which does work on the DG1, or the
generic MS-DOS Kermit will work.

--
Daniel Senie               UUCP: harvard!ulowell!cloud9!dts
Stratus Computer, Inc.     ARPA: anvil!cloud9!dts@harvard.harvard.edu

dncar@dcatla.UUCP (Chris A. Roussel) (01/14/89)

In article <3185@cloud9.Stratus.COM> dts@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Daniel Senie) writes:

>DG for some reason decided not to use an 8250 or NS16450 compatible UART
>in the DG1. Since most comm programs bypass the BIOS, they have trouble
>talking to the UART.

I worked on a comm program for this machine when it first came out.
Seems as I remember that the serial port was not always powered.
You had to twiddle some IO port to power it on, if you wanted to write to it.
Don't know if that's changed since then.  Don't remember the IO address
either.

--
Chris Roussel            |                    digital communications associates
                   ,-----| ,----- ,-----|     alpharetta, georgia