[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ATI 2400etc. Modem

mdfreed@ziebmef.uucp (Mark Freedman) (01/10/89)

  I would appreciate hearing from anybody who has experience with, or
has read reviews of, the ATI 2400etc. internal modem.
  This is a product of ATI Technologies Inc. (the EGA-Wonder people) in
Toronto, Ontario, and incorporates MNP level-5. It is available locally
at a VERY attractive price, but I've had problems with inexpensive modems
and line-noise.
  Comparably-priced modems without MNP are the GVC and SUPRA 2400-baud
units. I'd appreciate comments about these as well.
  I suspect that there is sufficient interest in low-cost modems to justify
posting to the net. If I receive replies via E-mail, I will post a summary.

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (01/11/89)

In article <1989Jan9.130921.10219@ziebmef.uucp> mdfreed@ziebmef.uucp (Mark Freedman) writes:

>  I would appreciate hearing from anybody who has experience with, or
>has read reviews of, the ATI 2400etc. internal modem.

I've had mine for a couple of months and am very pleased. Signing on to
remote systems is a lot more pleasant at 2400 (not to mention downloading).
The modem also comes with Mirror II software, a comprehensive telecom
package which includes Xmodem, Ymodem and Kermit file transfer protocols.
For approx. $300 (Can.), quite a good value. (I haven't had the opportunity
to try out the MNP protocol, although Byte, I think, reviewed the modem and
gave it an excellent rating.)

--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X

ads4@tank.uchicago.edu (adam david sah) (01/12/89)

In article <1989Jan9.130921.10219@ziebmef.uucp> mdfreed@ziebmef.uucp (Mark Freedman) writes:

>  I would appreciate hearing from anybody who has experience with, or
>has read reviews of, the ATI 2400etc. internal modem.

Not only do I own an ATI 2400etc, I run a BBs using it, and have had
SPECTACULAR results!!!!!

here are some stats...

type of transfer 	non-MNP5	MNP5 (most MNP connections are lvl5)
ASCII (>100K)		~240cps		>650 cps !!!!! (compression...)
ARCed file		~200-220 cps	250-275cps (compression + stop bit strip...)

(assumes use of Zmodem using DSZ, from Omen Technologies)
even better results can be gotten using Ymodem-G or some other MNP-only protocol (error-free link required protocol)

The only thing about the ATI2400 (and any MNP modem) is that the MNP isn't as useful as it sounds because there are damn few MNP modems out there (on a relative scale) and I've NEVER heard of a mainframe supporting MNP (indeed, tank here will kick you off if you attempt to call MNP and let it fall back...)

Also, the ATI setup can be confusing, but I can help there...

Finally, the ATI is only available as an internal modem, which means that only Ibm compat's may run it (i.e. NOT Macintosh... NOT mainframes... NOT.......)

Also, one last word about MNP- its main use is on BBs's that are using USRobotics HST 9600 bps modems (which is about the most popular MNP modem sold these dfays...)

Both my BBs and a sister BBs to mine run on ATI2400etc modems- so if you'd like to try it out, feel free to give me a call...

The Art of Science BBs (312)752-6104 24hrs, 7days, 3-2400 bps MNP5 wh. avail. set parity N81 - BBS IS DOWN UNTIL MONDAY JAN 16 DUE TO POWER SUPPLY FAILURE!
(that's my bbs)

also try:
The Midrange System BBs (312)639-9679 24hrs 7days 3-2400 bps MNP5 wh. avail. sret parity N81

(or any HST9600 bbs's in your area...)

About the price- no I do not remember how much I paid for it- but it was a bargain ( to say the least...)

ads4@tank.uchicago.edu

-A.Sah'89
SysOp, The Art of Science BBs (312)752-6104

terry@xenlink.UUCP (Terry Cioni) (01/15/89)

In article <1989Jan9.130921.10219@ziebmef.uucp>, mdfreed@ziebmef.uucp (Mark Freedman) writes:

>   I would appreciate hearing from anybody who has experience with, or
> has read reviews of, the ATI 2400etc. internal modem.
>   This is a product of ATI Technologies Inc. (the EGA-Wonder people) in
> Toronto, Ontario, and incorporates MNP level-5. It is available locally
> at a VERY attractive price, but I've had problems with inexpensive modems
> and line-noise.
>   Comparably-priced modems without MNP are the GVC and SUPRA 2400-baud
> units. I'd appreciate comments about these as well.
>   I suspect that there is sufficient interest in low-cost modems to justify
> posting to the net. If I receive replies via E-mail, I will post a summary.

The ATI internal is an excellent modem - and MNP level-5 handles poor line
conditions - without any problems.  In fact you will find that with MNP
active (talking with another MNP modem) the throughput when moving files will
increase dramatically.  Setting up your favorite comm program will take a few
extra minutes - but generally this should not be a problem.

The ATI works well with other modems when it is NOT in MNP mode as well....
Good luck.

Take Care - Terry Cioni at Xenlink in Calgary.