[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Question about INT 21H, AH=4EH/4FH

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (01/15/89)

The only copy of the Interrupt List I can find on ncoast and my almost
useless DOS manual agree that the structureset by INT 21, AH=4EH/4FH
contains one 16-bit entity each for file date and time.  Question:  does
anyone know the format of these numbers?

Thanks in advance,
++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc    allbery@ncoast.org (soon)
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

wilson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Tom Wilson) (01/15/89)

In article <13339@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>The only copy of the Interrupt List I can find on ncoast and my almost
>useless DOS manual agree that the structureset by INT 21, AH=4EH/4FH
>contains one 16-bit entity each for file date and time.  Question:  does
>anyone know the format of these numbers?

My essential reference on the subject of DOS interrupts is Advanced MS-DOS,
by Ray Duncan (Microsoft Press, 2nd Edition is out)

Format of the file time:
Bits	Contents
00-04	seconds (2-second increments), 0-29
05-0A	minutes (0-59)
0B-0F	hours (0-23)

File date:
Bits	Contents
00-04	date (1-31)
05-08	month (1-12)
09-0F	year (relative to 1980)

---- Duncan, p. 445

I guess I'm spoiled by using Duncan.  This is the second time this question
has been asked in the last couple of days (the other was on comp.lang.c)

--
Tom Wilson
wilson@uhccux.UUCP

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (01/16/89)

In article <13339@ncoast.UUCP>, allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
}The only copy of the Interrupt List I can find on ncoast and my almost
}useless DOS manual agree that the structureset by INT 21, AH=4EH/4FH
}contains one 16-bit entity each for file date and time.  Question:  does
}anyone know the format of these numbers?

Hmm, one of the increasingly-rare omissions.  Anyway, from an ancient
photocopy:

file date:  bits 15-9: year-1980
            bits 8-5:  month
            bits 4-0:  day
file time:  bits 15-11: hour
            bits 10-5: minute
            bits 4-0: second/2

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31