[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Malfunctioning Clock

hijab@cad.Berkeley.EDU (Raif Hijab) (01/20/89)

In article <145@icarus.kulcs.uucp> lucb@kulcs.UUCP () writes:

>For my own I have the following question: I have a PC/AT clone
>equipped with a multi I/O card. This card has two clocks which
>are both disabled.
>I am able to set the system board's clock. But after the system
>has been down for some time the clock is not correct anymore. Is the
>problem with my AT system board and/or battery? How can I test this?
>Or is the problem with the combination AT-MultiI/O card ?
>
>Luc Bomans		   	mail: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven

I suppose the problem could be anywhere, but here is my own experience:

I have a clock card on my XT which behaved as yours did above. After
a lot of guessing, I figured that it might be a poor battery contact.
I removed the battery, and bent both contacts to provide greater spring
force. I replaced the battery and, voila, it works just fine. I suspect
that this is not an uncommon problem.

Raif S. Hijab			Berkeley Sensors & Actuators Center
hijab@cad.Berkeley.EDU			   University of California
						 Berkeley, CA 94720