[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Norton Utilities 4.5 & DOS/Unix Partitions

figlik@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Jim Figlik) (01/19/89)

Using Norton Utilities version 4.5 and Norton Disk Doctor on
a hard disk that contains both DOS and Unix(tm)/Xenix partitions
can result in the corruption of partition data, according to
Jerry Pournelle's January 16th InfoWorld article.

Forwarned is ... ah nevermind with the cute quote.

Jim
--
 Name/Number:  Jim Figlik      (312) 979-3478
Elec.Address:  {world}!att!ihlpl!figlik

thaler@shorty.CS.WISC.EDU (Maurice Thaler) (01/20/89)

I have heard from at least two friends that had problems w/ NDD (norton
disk doctor) with NON-DOS partitions. This includes using ONTRACK disk
manager to create dos compatable extended partitions. Another real no-no
is to run NDD with a cache of any kind installed. It will claim that
your two fat-tables are different, and if you let it fix it, you will
trash your hard disk...

Maurice Thaler   SYSOP  Audio Projects BBS (608) 836-9473
                 SYSOP  Power Board    BBS (608) 222-8842

kinmonthprep@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (01/21/89)

In article <7072@spool.cs.wisc.edu> thaler@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) writes:

>I have heard from at least two friends that had problems w/ NDD (norton
>disk doctor) with NON-DOS partitions. This includes using ONTRACK disk

The sad voice of experience speaks.  The Norton Disk Doctor is a piece
of programming drek.  It totally trashed my 70 meg two partition disk (MSDOS
and Xenix) clobbering both partitions beyond repair.